New Thunderbird 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tinski, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tinski

Tinski New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Hayling Island
    Hello all.
    I've recently acquired a 1999 Thunderbird 900 (I'll try to update with a couple of pictures later). I say acquired, more like a 'pre death' inheritance. My dad has owned it a number of years and decided the he never got out on it these days and spends more time fixing it than riding it. Still it had been a choice between this and the 40ft bus then the this is the winner everytime.
    I have followed in his footsteps and haven't gotten to ride it before it broke down, but I guess that's the idea behind a project.
    So wish me luck!

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Tinski, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tinski
    Welcome to the family. Great project bike you have acquired. I to followed my Dad's footsteps and fell in love with bikes. We will look forward to your progress and pictures. And here in the asylum the inmates will help out where ever they can.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi Tinski and welcome in :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tinski

Tinski New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Hayling Island
    Thanks Joe, I'm sure I'll be institutionalised in no time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Tinski.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  10. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning Tinski and welcome aboard. Good luck with your project!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Welcome.Tinski: Always glad to see owners of old T-3's join. Got to keep the old machines on the road. Pictures please. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Welcome! I love my Tbird to bits and wish you best of luck with yours. As always we want pictures!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Tinski and welcome to the forum :cool: love TBirds, looking forward to seeing your project progress. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate & Welcome to the Forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tinski

Tinski New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Hayling Island
    Here are the pictures as mentioned above.
    Think going to take it step by step, not sure I can do much else with kids etc. End goal will be to do some basic aesthetic modifications and I'm not keen on the paint, but at this point I'd settle with getting it going so I can get out and ride.
    Long road ahead, should be fun.
    Thanks

20191101_133500.jpg

20191101_133515.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. HuskerVSO

HuskerVSO Member

Oct 31, 2019
    Nebraska
    Good day to all!
    It all started when I was 14 years old, riding a bicycle that had a motor, down a dusty dirt road at sunrise. I still remember the moment as what Heaven must be like. I've been chasing that ever since.

But I digress. I'm 71 years old, a Vietnam veteran, have lived in 14 states, have most likely made every mistake a man can make, and can thankfully say there is such a thing as "redemption". As a Western Nebraska native, in the 1960's, EVERYone had to have a motorcycle to race on our dirt oval in our one-acre back yard. My beast was an 80cc Yamaha that I dearly loved, but traded straight across for a '49 Chevy that had a working heater during a spectacularly cold Nebraska winter.

When I became of age, I joined the military. I was an artist and loved my job for 8 1/2 years, the last two of which were with the USAF Aerial Demonstration Team, "The Thunderbirds". What a fantastic tour that was!

I've always loved old cars and motorcycles. I recently acquired a 2013 Triumph Speedmaster, who has a beautiful profile. I have 4 brothers who simultaneously asked me, "Why the hell do you want another motorcycle?!"
    My answer was quite simple; "Life and my self-sabotaging ways have tried to beat the hell outta me. I'm an alcoholic (34 years sobriety, by the way), have been married and divorced 3 times, have had to start over with nothing but my tools more times than I can count. I'm 71 and can feel myself slowing down, so I'm going to fight it until I can't do it any longer. My happiest of times was on that motorbike on that one dirt road during that one sunrise. That's why."

My psychology professor said I may be guilty of "premature disclosure", where, on a first date with a woman, you say "I'm an alcoholic who's been diagnosed with severe PTSD and have been married three times, but only had a pistol to my head one time. Shall we order?"
    What the hell does he know??

Anyway, so happy to be here!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Husker & Welcome to the Forum :cool: Love the story & sentiment, but you have tagged it on to another newbies post, best copy your text & post it again as a new thread in Newbies section.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Husker and welcome to the forum :cool: quite an intro and life you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Tinski and welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tinski

Tinski New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Hayling Island
    Hi HuskerVSO,
    Love the post. We all find love in many ways and a dirt road and a 50cc sound idyllic to me!
    Thank you for your service.
    Keep riding, keep refusing to be sensible. I think you find alot of people here that have projects like mine (or money pits as my wife refers to it). So your in good company.

• Like Like x 1