New T100 Wiring Problems

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Porl, Apr 5, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    Did I get a "Friday afternoon" bike?
    I had a carburettered Bonneville for sixteen trouble free years. Now I have a 2021 T100. The MIL malfunctioned twice last year and now the wires to the ignition switch have severed due to chaffing on the very thing that, I guess is there to put some relief on them. I fixed it but there's not enough slack in the cable now. I'll have to spend time and money to replace it. Has anyone else had quality control problems or is it just my bad luck?

New Triumph wiring.jpeg

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    The Triumph Street Cup (and possibly the Twin and Scrambler) had a known loom fault where the loom pulls too tight around the head stock and eventually fails. My 2018 supposedly had an updated loom, but it still failed 6 months into ownership.

The chassis for the T100 and the Street Cup / Twin are the same, so there may be some common ground there.

Mine was fixed under warranty, and I would have thought Triumph would have seen you right with your T100 being so young. That may be harder now you've fixed it yourself, but its worth approaching the dealer.

Hope you get some answers / solutions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    Yeah, thanks for the info RePaul. I talked my my dealer today and they said they would talk to Triumph for me. But you're right, fixing it myself potentially put the kibosh on a claim but fingers crossed hey?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    Just heard, Triumph are replacing the whole lockset. Woopee.

• Like Like x 4
  5. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Result! It's always worth politely going back to the dealer / manufacturer if the bike is relatively new. It might be worth asking them just to look for any signs of tension abrasion while they're doing the work.

Hope you're soon back enjoying the road rather than worrying about wires.:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1