New T100 Issue, Help Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Steve Maclean, Jul 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Hi
    I’ve got a new T100 black , 650 miles on it now. Today I suddenly ran into an issue whilst out on it and wanted advice please.
    Approaching a roundabout I couldn’t downshift or even up from 3rd. When I stopped, the bike stalled with the clutch in and I had to start and take off in third. I got a hundred yards and pulled over. I’m able to change gear again but it’s pretty clunky, especially third. The bike still wants to move with the engine running and in gear, even with the clutch engaged so I’m wondering if I’ve got a clutch issue. The clutch lever doesn’t seem entirely right as I think it feels like there’s less tension in it but I could be imagining that to be honest.
    Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Steve.
    Get your bike back to the dealers, with it being so new. Like you say it sounds like a clutch issue and they need to get it sorted :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d also say they need to come and pick it up rather than you ride it there.
    If the clutch disintegrates on you while riding.......o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Thanks. I’m 120 miles from the nearest dealer too!. I let it cool and it’s now not going into neutral with engine on but driving better, although still really clunky downshifts? Nice and sunny outside too so this is a real pisser!

5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Steve.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just to exclude an adjustment issue....

When you pull the clutch do you have a small gap at the lever (2mm) before you feel yourself overcoming spring resistance? The gap is where the lever abuts the handlebar pivot.

7. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Hi Callumity. I’m not great mechanically so not sure I follow. I can only get it in neutral if switched off. When I start it in gear it’s as if the clutch isn’t quite fully disengaged and it still wants to move a little. It was actually worse earlier to the point it stalled if I stopped. When I put clutch lever fully in it only needs released 1mm before it starts to bite. Thanks

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Cable adjustment is pretty critical to gear selection. Got the handbook?

If the clutch cannot free off it will drag causing the symptoms you describe.

There are adjustments either end of the cable. On a new bike the lock nuts could have slipped and the clutch is dragging.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    As said previously it sounds like all it needs is the cable adjusting. Try tightening the adjuster at lever end first to give a bit less free play and see if it helps. It is the adjuster at the cable end by lever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Thankyou, handbook in hand just now so will give it a go now and see if it sorts it out. I’m aiming for 3mm according to the book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Thanks guys, that seems to have done the trick and much better now :cool:. Glad it was something simple, even if it makes me look like a dafty :laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Steve Maclean

Steve Maclean New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Inverness
    Thanks guys, that seems to have done the trick and much better now :cool:. Glad it was something simple, even if it makes me look like a dafty :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    How do you think I guessed?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Yours is not the first T100 to come out of the dealers brand new with a badly adjusted clutch cable. Mine was too tight and I noticed it was slipping - few turns of the top adjuster and it was fine. At least you know the symptoms now and it will serve you well in the future if it happens on another bike or just after a service on your current one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It says little for the dealer’s PDI as you would expect stretch not shortening!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    No different to most of us when we started biking, you learn as you go along and the added bonus of a great forum to help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1