New Starter?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big Sandy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Triumph Sprint 900, 1997.

Usually starts, battery in good condition, bubbling away quite the thing on the charger, alternator is putting 13.5 - 14v when running.

Symptom, every so often when cold the start sounds slow, like struggling to turn over. Will stop turning like it's flat battery. Wait ten seconds or so, and it fires up like a good un. Usually starts every time after that.

Lately though, I'm getting just a click from the starter, put it in gear, give it a quick bump, and then it fires away like usual. Not failing every single time though, just every so often...

I thought battery initially, but now leaning towards the starter.... What do you reckon?

Thing is, the slow turn over sometimes when cold... Its on a trickle charger, it's topped up, but sounds like it's flat. It does try and turn over, just not fast enough. Would the starter do that, or am I looking at a tired battery causing all the problems? Kind of hope so... Its cheaper than a starter!

2. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Oh, also, turning all the lights on makes the engine hunt when ticking over... I know it's load v revs but again, given the alternator is working fine, is that saying battery too?

3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    A battery will do that but so will a worn starter, you need to see what drain the starter if having on the battery when operated,
    If you can dismiss the battery as being sound and all connections clean and tight it would be worth checking the starter and sprag clutch [if it has one]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I actually took the battery out and put it on a charger to check its state... It was showing a full charge, and bubbling away almost as soon as I switched the charger on. Cleaned all the connections too.

I remember the problem you had with your cables @Smilinjack and that was my first thought.

I guess the voltage drop test is a good starting point. And check the voltage at the thinner lead (the exciter, is it?) while I'm at it.

Off I go...

5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Well, voltage on turning it over is dropping to 11.5v but it's a nice hot engine at the moment, so it's easy.

Also hasn't done the "I'm not doing the not starting for you trick, ya bass, if you're coming at me with a volt meter. Now do one". So back to that test when it's cold.

The exciter.... Yeah. I have one big wire heading to the starter, and that's it. I guess the small cable will be on the relay, wherever that is. Will have to look for that. Theoretically though, the small wire should show 0v, it should only be energised when you turn the key into the start position, it activates the relay which in turn energises the starter. There should also be another small wire that goes to the charge light... Not sure how that one works!

6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I think a new battery to start with, it can't hurt anyway eh?

Then price up a starter and maybe a relay.

Like I need the expense right now! Still got to look after your pride and joy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Aha... You said alternator, my mind read starter. Will check if I can get at it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Can't get at the damned thing without stripping things out... Can just see one big covered cable terminating in a boot going into the alternator :tired_face:

I will check once I start stripping things out though. Going to try a battery first.

I had a nearly new kawasaki GT550 once, it used to do this trick, put a new battery on and it never did it again. Yet it was a new battery, on a 6 month old bike... bubbling away on charge. To this day I don't know what the fault was.

9. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Definitely check all connections and especially Ground Connections to starter, engine to frame and frame to battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Had to quit... Put back in shed as we have thunder and downpours. Can't fechin win.

The earth for the starter... Is it earthing through where it attaches to the engine body? Must be.. Can only see one cable...

But its looking like a systematic check over connections, to the relay too, once I can get at it again.

Be nice to have a garage!

11. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    #12 Big Sandy, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    The rebuild/recon kit seems to be around £70....

I'd sell an arm and a leg, but I think I need those. :D

Land Rover starter, and solenoid, are three times the size, and are £97. Makes you wonder....

Second hand starters are anywhere between £30 and £100, untested and unknown. Not worth a punt I don't think, could be swapping one problem with any variety of different ones....

• Agree Agree x 1