New Speedmaster

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by bazz, Oct 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    just read Triumph will unveil the new Speedmaster at Hinckley 19:30 tonight

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'll look forward to seeing that !!!!!

3. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    #3 bazz, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Look at Triumph website - it's gorgeous

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

OMG I'm in love :heart_eyes:
    Does anyone want to buy my soul?....it's for sale :p
    If anyone turns up at the GMU on one of these...I'LL KILL YA:mad: cos I'll still be on my B P OS:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    ONE JD PICKLED SOLE FOR SALE, ANY TAKERS GOING CHEAP ?
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Agree marra it does look gorgeous :heart:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    really like it:cool:..not sure about the black forks though

8. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    not sure about the ‘tubed’ tyres, i can’t understand why any manufacturer would use inner tubes in this day and age they’re so easy to puncture!
    i’ve seen other manufacturers get round the problem by positioning the spokes on the outer edge of the wheel rim thus allowing tubeless tyres. Triumph should have done likewise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    agree.. our lass was 15 stone last time she bothered the scales, she’ll snap that rear frame no bother ☹️

10. Crockett66

Crockett66 New Member

Take off the rear chrome grab handle and add a one piece gunfighter style seat. That grab handle looks like it was on an Old Honda CB500 or something from the 80's. Should have been a belt drive and cruisers should have more rake than this. Is this a SpeedMaster or a BobberMaster. I guess we won't get a new Bonneville America as there is nothing new left for it if Triumph is following the Bobber lines. They should be making a mid size tourer or mini bagger with fairing/hard bags. Guess I'll test ride it first and go from there but I don't think the wait was worth the result. A scaled down (85%) Blacked out Thunderbird Storm with the ThruxtonR 1200 engine in a 580 lb range would be my idea of a new Speedmaster. Offer a big bore kit to go up to 1300 c.c and that would kick azz.

• Like Like x 2
  11. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I like it a lot.
    Don't normally like cruisers but it looks good

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    He'll have to pay us to take it ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    The red one in the picture with the Maverick kit looks good

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Crockett66

Crockett66 New Member

Yep the Red one with the solo seat and blacked out rear fender supports looks pretty decent. If Triumph would have gone belt drive and a few degrees more rake and maybe an available big bore 1320 c.c kit this would have kicked the Sportster and Scout azzes.

15. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I like it, but as some other posters have said, I think it could have done with a few more degrees rake to give it a more cruiser look .

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I absolutely hate it !!!! :dizzy:

Was really looking forward to new Speedmaster. America is a highway kit - looks like it is just bits added and not a seperate model like the scrambler/bonneville, but this is crap. Had a horrible feeling they were going to do this. Looks short and squashed, the bobber is too small for me, and this looks like they;ve just added a pillion seat, great development ! Not!. The seat looks like a home made add on, big gap under it? Am I right in thinking that's the same tiny tank off the bobber ? 10L or thereabouts??? That's usefull! Did they do any market research with existing owners? Or just go out and find some tatoo'd beardy london tosspot in a shed?

I want a cruiser, not the hipster fashion whim. Bobber OK, thats what it is, but I want to cruise and tour on my cruiser, not posing around shoreditch.

@Scoot65 , totally greee, that front end looks like a shed built bobber, needs some rake to be a proper cruiser, just doesn't look right. I want my cruiser/custom to look like a harley, (without the massive price and embarrassment), thats what they look like, not a homemade BPOS.

A halfway bobber / bonneville crossover, and no way a Speedmaster / America laid-back cruiser. Sorry Triumph, you get an 'F' from me, big fail.:(:weary_face::confounded:

New 1200 engine, 90bhp, 6 speed box & tech in the old America frame, thats what I want, anybody fancy building me one?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Crockett66

Crockett66 New Member

Gotta agree that's what I was hoping for too. 1200-1300 c.c 6spd, belt drive, all the tech in a Speedy/America cruiser frame with an option to add a full fairing with hardbags. Basically a Street Glide Triumph Style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bazz

bazz Member

Jan 25, 2016
    durham
    totally agree, disappointed with the seat set up, i just don’t like it and can’t understand that gap under it and hate that small pin cushion pad plonked on the rear mudguard; it should be a one piece rider/pillion seat that sits in/follows the frame and rear mudguard just like the current speedmaster and also agree the rake doesn't look right.
    doesn’t look like there’s much thought gone into this bike, it’s obvious it’s just a BOBBER with an extra brake disc and seat cushion thrown on! ☹️

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    You saved me typing all that!
    Sticking a slightly larger tank and an extra brake disc on a bobber does not a cruiser make.
    It's obvious to me that the highway inspiration kit is an attempt at 'doing an America' without having a dedicated model.
    No doubt check shirted beardy types will be pleasuring themselves at the sight of it, but if I was in the market for another bike - the new triple would be my first choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Crockett66

Crockett66 New Member

Triumph doesn't have a dealer in Manitoba Canada anymore, so I would have to travel to Saskatchewan to buy one. Think I'll wait for the riding reviews before deciding anything.

21. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ok here goes.... my opinion for what it's worth :p
    I think the new Speedmaster is absolutely gorgeous... it's everything I wanted it to be and more :cool:
    As you may already know I have an 09 865EFI Speedmaster...I LOVE it :heart:
    BUT and it's a big BUT It's the worst handling bike I have ever owned....seriously the low speed handling of this bike leave's a lot to be desired :( town riding/mini roundabouts and car park manoeuvres are borderline dangerous :eek:
    This in my opinion is down mainly to the amount of rake built into the front end to achieve the cruiser look :cool:
    The new Speedmaster has addressed this problem and gives the cruiser riding position that I want :)...happy days
    Personally I think the bobber is a fine looking motorcycle and I would have one in a heartbeat but it's just not practical for my needs....occasional pillion and towing my beer trailer :p
    Again the new Speedmaster addresses this...I've been studying the pictures of it and can already see how to mount my own tow bar to it :) again...happy days
    The bonneville T120 is another bike that I admire:)...pillion seat and tow bar easily fitted...seen one towing a small caravan at the Stormin the Castle rally :eek: have looked at this bike with a view to fitting forward foot rests for a cruiser riding position (easily done) but hey guess what?....triumph have come up trumps for me with the new Speedmaster :)...once again happy days
    By all accounts both the Bobber and the T120 are fine handling machines and looking at the specifications of the new Speedmaster it should be up there with them :)...and again happy days
    Ok now to address some of the negativity in this thread :mad:
    Twin shocks at the rear...nah..it'll look too much like the T120
    Tank range has been much improved :)
    Rear shock has been improved :)
    Better brakes :)
    Bobbermaster?:p...hey... I can live with that..it's only a bloody name ffso_O...I think some people are a bit miffed that the America name seems to have been dropped :eek::mad::eek:...shock/horror...oh dear how sad...never mind :rolleyes:
    Triumph to their credit have a really good range of cruiser machines in their lineup under the Thunderbird name :cool:...really shiny ones for all you chromosexuals and my favourite the Storm:cool:
    You could get one of those or the new Speedmaster/highway and paint an America logo on it :rolleyes:(hee hee)
    A 1300 Storm????...why would you want to do that???
    A more cruiser look???(Thunderbirds?)...more Harley looking??...more Street Glide???...Bagger???..fairing???Hmmm...maybe take a look at Harley Davidsons :eek: they make some very nice motorcycles in the cruiser/shiny styles
    Now take another look at this picture :) it's the Maverick version and I'm gonna get one hook or by crook...I know I know...it's all down to personal taste and all that but I think it's the best looking bike that Triumph makes LOOK AT IT
    LOOK AT IT
    I'M IN LOVE :heart:
    IMG_0399.JPG Right I'm off into the garage to take the wheels off my BPOS so I can get my new tyres fitted and try and improve the handling
    Oh yeah...fitting the 120engine into an America frame would be easy peasy... pah...I bet a bunch of school kids could do it :rolleyes:..you know..some sort of school project with an understanding and enthusiastic teacher :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1