New Speed Triple Recommendation

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by KansasSportBike, Aug 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KansasSportBike

KansasSportBike New Member

Aug 22, 2020
    Kansas
    Hi All!

New to the Speed Triple and looking to get my first naked bike. I have not ridden one yet, but will when I start to narrow down what I am searching for. I am in my mid 40s and have had a lot of sport bikes, but am looking for something more comfortable this time. I have narrowed my search to the Speed Triple and the Tuono. I am not necessarily looking to take really long rides, but I plan on doing some day trips.

I am looking for all the safety and nanny features of the newer bikes, like traction control, wheelie control and ABS. My wife is an insurance defense attorney, so that is the first thing I will get hit with. LOL. I have been searching around and it is hard to tell what years these features started getting added to the Speed Triple and what are stock and what are options. I also do not know if there were any know mechanical issues with any specific years. I do not want something brand new and am trying to stay under the $8K number, or right around there.

Would love any feedback you could give me on what years you would recommend and any thoughts on a comparison to the Tuono.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the conversation!

2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #2 MrTriple, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Welcome to the forum :)

If you're after electronic aids, then you'll need a Speed Triple R, model years 2016 or 2017 with ride-by-wire throttle, ABS, rider modes (rain, road, sport, track, user), traction control (which acts as anti wheelie) all as standard...as are Brembo brakes and Ohlins front and rear.

The RS launched from 2018 and adds cornering ABS, keyless ignition and a TFT display to the electronics.

A quick look on US eBay for a 2016-17 R shows no availability at all (maybe it will work better from Kansas) but there's a very low mileage 2017 S for $9,277. You might be lucky at $8K for an older, higher mileage R, but I suspect you'll need to apply to the insurance defense attorney for an increase.

Can't compare to the Tuono, but I had an R and now have an RS :yum

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. yellowknife STRS

yellowknife STRS New Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Yellowknife,NT, Canada
    #3 yellowknife STRS, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Had a 1000 V4 Tuono a few years a ago. The sound from that bike was amazing. Very fast but not much range to the fuel tank. Aprilia has some of the best electronic aids with more levels of control. Their bikes have had great rider aids for many years now and have set a high standard for others to try and follow. I ending up with a new bike from Aprilia as the first had a major engine fault. Maybe a manufacturing defect but I soon traded it away. I now have a 2019 Triumph speed triple RS. Amazing bike with great fuel range. This is my second Triumph and my first never gave any problems. I also love the Triumph heritage that ties in with the brand as well. Here is a very good forum for Aprilia
    www.apriliaforum.com. Lots of info there.

• Like Like x 3
  4. KansasSportBike

Aug 22, 2020
    Kansas
    Thank you for all the great information. This is super helpful and I will narrow down my search to the 2016-2017 years. Seems like the most affordable way to go on the Speed Triple.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KansasSportBike

Aug 22, 2020
    Kansas
    Thanks for sharing your experience with both bikes. This is some the exact information I was looking for. Reading reviews is very helpful in providing performance and comfort, but is great to hear how this translates into real world experiences. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Before I bought my RS, I test rode one and a Tuono on the same day. The Tuono definitely accelerated faster but felt skittish. I preferred the handling and the low down grunt of the Triumph. Get some test rides if you can.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Looks good but the engine/service light is on. If you get one, see if the recent service has been done!!!
    Or, get $400 knocked off.

9. KansasSportBike

Aug 22, 2020
    Kansas
    Picked up an adult owned 2016 Speed Triple S with 10K miles and a bunch of aftermarket upgrades for $7.2K. It is immaculate condition. I feel like I get a very fair deal on a very nice bike, and it is in my budget.
    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Triumph-SPEED+TRIPLE+S-5013286648

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone. Now I am a proud new owner of my first Triumph! Hopefully someday I can contribute to the forum.

• Like Like x 3
  10. yellowknife STRS

yellowknife STRS New Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Yellowknife,NT, Canada
    You did very well!. Enjoy your new bike.

• Like Like x 2