Featured New Shoes

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Nixter, Oct 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

The stock Pirelli Supercorsas are toast. Put on some Michelin Power 5's. My first time mounting sportbike tyres. Very easy, took about an hour to do both.

20201018_125337.jpg

20201018_115118.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    N
    Nice. Please let me know how they feel compared to the supercorsa’s. I know that’s not really a fare comparison but I would like to know if they feel heavy and slow compared to a sport tire. I know there is a least a couple of pounds between a sport and sport touring tire, and unsprung weight can have a massive influence on many aspects of the bikes performance.

3. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

The Power 5 is a sport tire. They used to be Pilot Power, but the dropped the Pilot part. The Road 5 and Road 5 GT are their tourer. I had Road 5’s on my ZX14R and they may have been a little heavier than these, but still very sticky.

I took them for a quick scrub. Only did about 40 miles, but they were very compliant. Took it easy for about 10 and then gradually eased them over a little more. By the time I got home the back was all the way to the edge and the front a comfortable 1 inch of scrub left. I wasn’t pushing it, but didn’t notice any extra weight - steering not heavy, no loss of power etc. I Have ridden a lot on Michelin’s. I didn’t really like the Pirelli’s for the first 1000 miles before getting used to them, and grew to really like them. There are just too many options available for less $$.

Will add more once I have them properly scrubbed and I can turn off the traction control!

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Lol sorry, don’t know why I thought those were the sport touring tires. I had the old pilot power 3 and really liked it.

5. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

In all fairness the Road 5 touring tyre is rock solid. I put them on my ZX14R and again on my MT10, never broke loose on me once....unless I wanted it to.. Also had a set of Avon touring tyres on the ZX. Awesome tyre and lighter, but didn’t last quite as long as the Roads. I put 3500 miles on them with my MT before selling it and they could have passed as new.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s interesting about the road 5 vs the Avon’s. Which Avon was it? How did you find the weight difference between the touring tires and a sport tire?

7. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

It was the Avon Storms. There wasn't any real noticeable difference with using the touring tyres. Most modern tyres are more than enough for the street. The ZX14 isn't exactly known for being nimble so any minor weight difference didn't effect stability. I was more concerned about something that would handle to 200hp and hold up to stopping that beast!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for that. The weight is the only thing that’s held me back from trying a touring tire. On the speedy that weight might be noticeable, I’m not sure. Might just have to try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Nice, I've use the Power 5 this summer on my Speed S and I do feel its an upgrade from the Power 3 I normally use gripwise.
    Hopefully they'll last a bit longer than the Power 3.

• Like Like x 1