New Satnav By Beeline

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by John T, Aug 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Came across this recently on a crowdfunding site called Kickstarter although I'd heard of their bicycle version before this. They were looking to raise funds by allowing you to pre order at a discount, anyway it appears they were subscribed 10 times over so its going ahead
    Ive backed it too, looks like a simple cost effective way to give you a bit of guidance but not over the top standard GPS which I find too much for biking.Price and performance look really good too. Time will tell

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi John, be interested on how it shapes up...
    Wessa

3. stikflote

stikflote New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Derbyshire
    Hello do you need your mobile connected to the beeline??

4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    John T
    Think I'd rather see it on the market. Maybe if you ever receive yours you can tell us again.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s definitely different! Not sure what to think about the compass mode as a correct choice of road needed might not currently face the right direction.

6. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I have seen this, and bear in mind this is just my own opinion, based on my own experiences. There is one way that this device is severely lacking, lane guidance at complicated junctions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Just had an update

Dear Beeline Moto backers,

It's a month since the close of the campaign, so time for an update. The big bits of news are the move to physical buttons and that we're hiring (fancy joining us?) Read more below!

[​IMG]
    CAD renders of a design with physical buttons
    Progress is going well. We're having weekly calls with our manufacturing partners in China and everything is on track. At this stage it's all still about refining the design and iterating with prototypes before we start tooling in October.

Buttons: we were originally using the same touch buttons as used on the Beeline for bicycles but of course through testing and feedback have realised that that doesn't work so well with gloves! We're testing a few options both on design and electronics to ensure we get the best look, feel and performance and should have that fully worked out by the next monthly update.

[​IMG]
    3D prints in the office to test the look and feel of different button options
    Hiring: following the success of the campaign, we're looking to grow the team so we can push software development faster in line with our pledge to make this a product that continuously gets better. We're looking for a lead Android developer and a Data Scientist to join us. If that might be you or someone you know, please do get in touch on [email protected] - job descriptions here: Android Developer, Data Scientist.

Finally, a couple more housekeeping points:

1) Some of you have been mentioning additional software features such as showing speed limits, rain forecasts etc. We're absolutely listening to you and keep the suggestions coming. Please just bear with us while we get the core product right first as all of these software features can be added in after shipping via app and firmware updates. We don't want to let them distract us from delivery!

2) Some of you have been asking about buying additional mounts etc. These will all be available in our Backerkit survey along with some awesome extras including t-shirts and caps. We're going to send that survey closer to the shipping date when everything is more set in stone, including your addresses! Keep an eye out for it in the coming months.

That's it from us for now. Back to work and looking forward to sharing more good news next time!

Love,

Mark, Tom and the Beeline team

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I had this same thought. It is an interesting thought though.

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I thought the whole selling point of this was the simplicity and unclutteredness (?)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Looks interesting, but I wonder if (and how, without data) it reroutes if you make a wrong turn on a planned route. I can't find an answer on their website.

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I backed it to get a big discount, so I'll let everyone know how it pans out when I finally get one!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Currently £110 instead of £150. Might be worth a punt.

13. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    Looks like a complicated and unnecessary solution to a problem that has already been 'fixed' to a much higher standard by Google Maps and similar apps for your phone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Dont want a phone or Garmin/TomTom on my bars

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don’t get one!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

No good for me. I only use my Garmin so I can ride the exact roads I want to ride, not the roads some algorithm chooses.

Also like to look ahead when on the bike, gives you an idea of how tight a bend is going to be.

See it working well on the pace a pushbike goes, but not a proper bike going at full chat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I too look ahead at bends
    Small compact basic satnav one step from getting the map out often (which I have alway used in conjunction with satnavs unlike many)seems a decent compromise
    I’m going to give it a try....might be shite but worth a go I reckon

• Like Like x 3
  18. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Next couple of weeks according to email yesterday

Not as bad as the ccm I’m waiting for

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Crap name though, sounds like a discount hardware shop.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Spencert231

Spencert231 Member

May 9, 2019
    France
    This reminds me a bit like using a sketch map instead of a OS map. The OS as the bigger picture where as the sketch map as the details you require to reach you destination less bulk of map. I have no doubt this will work for some but not all. We are all different some need the cherry on top whilst others don't, good luck to Beeline and its Backers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1