New Rs Leaking Fork Oil

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by TripleNo1, Jul 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TripleNo1

TripleNo1 Member

May 27, 2018
    Virginia
    Brand new RS is leaking from the compression adjuster on the fork. Only 700 miles. Other side is fine. I will take it to the dealer under warranty, but wanted to show other new RS owners in case it happens to them.

I am assuming there is a seal under the compression adjuster in the top cap? Anyone else had this happen to their Speed Triple?

leak.png

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Only speculating, but looks like it could have been overfilled and being forced out.

Not a good sign of quality is it:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    OMG what next:worried:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. joten

joten Member

May 24, 2018
    Norway
    I havent had any....Yet

• Like Like x 1
  5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Lets hope you are not tempting fate there with your blase comments ! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Same fork as fitted to the 94R's, so been around for about 3 years, not heard of anyone else having a problem so hopefully a one off.

7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Can't believe how many issues I have seen on here with the Speed RS, what is going on with the Speedy? It's hardly a completely new model just a development of what has been around some years.
    Have done over 5,500 miles in just over a year on my Street RS without any issues and that was a completely new model, so if anything I would have expected teething problems on that.
    I hope that Triumph sort it quickly so you don't miss out on the great weather.

8. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Mine did have an oil leak from the cam cover but i Have since had 3000 miles with no issues , just a worn out tyre....
    My 2010 Speedy did have an oil weep from the the sump so I guess, not that much different from my experiences of new Triumps, 2 bikes, 2 oil leaks....

9. TripleNo1

TripleNo1 Member

May 27, 2018
    Virginia
    bleeding seems to have slowed/stopped after a tablespoon or more has seeped out and i dried it off.

have not had a chance to take it in for repair yet, but I will report back once i do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I remember reading about a new bike with this issue.
    The dealer said it was cos the forks had been horizontal before assembly,was all angles it stopped like yours after a little bit.

11. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    I've had exactly the same issue on some new Ohlins forks.
    Get a small Allen Key which fits the compression damping screw and screw it all the way in (Count the clicks) Then screw it all the way back out, then all the way back in again, then back to where it was the same amount of clicks you counted. Clean off excess oil. Chances are this'll reseat the O-Rings and cure it... Worked with mine.

Capture1.JPG

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. TripleNo1

TripleNo1 Member

May 27, 2018
    Virginia
    UPDATE: Still slowly leaking. The dealer contacted Triumph, and they requested the entire left side of the fork to investigate.

Triumph is shipping a new part from England and the dealer is replacing the entire left side of the fork under warranty for no charge.

Mostly just an inconvenience at this point, and hopefully its just a one off issue, as I received one of the first RS models state side.

13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hope it all works out quickly for you mate :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Syne7

Syne7 New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Texas
    So how did this situation work out?

Did it finally fix?

I have a 2019 Triumph Speed Triple RS that has 500 miles and just had this happen :(?

15. TripleNo1

TripleNo1 Member

May 27, 2018
    Virginia
    Yeah, I got the entire fork stanchion replaced under warranty, and no leaks since.