New Rocket 3 2020 Minor Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Downes, Feb 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Having recently picked up my new Rocket 3 (TFC), I've found a few niggles and/or potential technical issues, that I wouldn't mind some opinions on. I'm not sure if many, or any, of these are truly problems per se, they could be perfectly normal, but I know that if I ask my dealer about them, I will definitely be told that they're normal.

The first one, when I turn on the ignition, I see what the manual tells me is the General Warning Symbol, which looks like white spanner in an orange circle. It only shows for a few seconds before turning off, which makes me think it could be by design. However, I'm almost certain that it wasn't showing before yesterday. I've only done 170 miles on the bike, so maybe I missed it on the first few days, but I'm pretty damn confident it was never there before.

Also when you turn on the ignition but not starting the bike, it make a fair amount of little noises. Continuously. Whirs and buzzes, the occasional click. I'd expect the fuel injector to whizz and maybe some other shortlived electrical/mechanical noises, but it really does not shut up until you either start the engine or shut it off. Normal?

Next up, it has an unstable idle, both when the engine is first started up, and also after a ride of a decent length (10+ miles). You can the revs are wobbling, the rev gauges shows it, and you can feel the slight shake/wobble through the handlebars. I would estimate the gauges show a wobble of around 100-200 revs maybe? And it's not regular (e.g. every 2 seconds), it's totally erratic. Can this be normal?

Finally, I've also made a whole separate post about the trouble I've had with the bluetooth module :(

Really appreciate any comments!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Oh no! I missed one! This is the only one that the dealership will probably admit to not being correct.

My keyless-ignition-key is basically no longer working, it's range has dropped to ... practically 0.

This happened as of this evening, and I know it was perfectly fine for my ride this afternoon. I normally just have it in my jeans pocket, jump on the bike, start up, all good. Now, I have to take the seat off and hold it near the battery in order to get the ignition on!

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I think that only two people on here have taken delivery of their 2020 Rocket’s mate :confused:
    Yourself and @SleepyOwl :)
    @Rspete gets his Norbert:joy:on Friday :)
    And I get mine 1st March :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:This is EXACTLY why I didn’t want keyless ignition :(
    Hopefully it’s just teething problem’s mate :confused:
    If you’re not happy take it back to the dealer mate :confused:
    You’ve paid a LOT of money and that’s what they’re there for :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Shame your getting problems, I hope you get them resolved quickly...

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Thanks, me too!

My wife likes to remind me of the issues I had with my Thunderbird Commander when I picked that up from the dealer. Those included a loose mirror that flapped back due to wind when I went over ~50mph, a strange whirring noise (which never got fully resolved) from the belt, cosmetic issues (scratches on panels, exposed glue on the outside of panels, etc), and then a host of other silly stuff like creaking when turning the handlebars, loose cables dangling out from behind the lights, and a broken lightbulb. Oh, and an engine management fault light within the first 500 miles.

I think I'm just unlucky ... unless ... this is just triumphs!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Thanks, regarding you points ... the light is part of the TFT. The manual says that the oil, abs, and engine lights come on for that reason. It does not say the same for the spanner logo in the TFT, and commons sense would imply there's no need to show that ... the section of the TFT is working, right? :grinning: . But yes, it's still possible that they do it for people without common sense!

As for the battery, as it happens, when I rode away from the dealer (we're talking, I was about 10 feet outside the gates) the display told me my key battery was low : unamused:, so literal first job was to replace it. I've not since had any low battery warnings, so I doubt it's that ... although I did buy 2 batteries, so could test :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    So many electronics, so many things to go wrong...
    Sorry to read it is not perfect, a lot of money for a dream bike to not be perfect, hope it gets sorted

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Sorry to hear of the problems. I’m away until Thursday and will check for sure then. I can also record the starting up noises
    From memory though I have never seen the spanner symbol. Also definitely no drop in revs. Touch would young Sprocket has been fine so far. I hate keyless ignition on bikes. Mine is ok so far (200 miles) but there are lots of reports on Triumphs of the keys being a problem. I will also have a look at you Bluetooth thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Have a look at the below. I’m on my phone but I think you can see the start up lights at 2 mins 45secs

• Like Like x 3
  11. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Thanks a lot, no spanner in that vid., I'll take a vid of my own to show you what I mean.

The ONLY other think I can think of, is something to do with servicing, OR to do with having the rev limiter set to running-in mode.

I'm at 170 miles, so if you're at 200, that's not it. I can change my rev limiter to see if that changes anything, but I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    You haven’t got an oil leak have you which is causing the spanner to come on? I’m no mechanic and probably complete off mark but worth a check.
    Someone reported a leak on a TFC over on the R3 forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Dammit, I just took some vids, can I upload them here, or must htey go on youtube? It doesn't seem to want me to upload .mov files ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Think you have to use YouTube or imagur is easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
  16. David Downes

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I also just checked whether turning the gear shift indicator from "running in" to disabled didn't eliminate the spanner. It did not.

Although my key now seems to be working again, after having done nothing at all to fix it (????) :no_mouth:

17. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    @dilligaf I forgot I mentioned that Norberts arriving on Friday..... It totally slipped my mind. :p:joy:
    @David Downes if your not happy just take it back to your dealer mate, I'm sure they'll iron out any problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    It sounds to me as if your bikes showing you need a service, go into the menu and try to change the service date.
    Also change the battery on the keyfob, as the key itself could of been manufactured 4 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had a thunderbird LT and the only problem I had with it was the belt was whirring. It was resolved by putting some polish on the belt. I think I applied it twice in four years of ownership.. Cracking bike as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bryf

Bryf Guest

The erratic idling sounds and looks very much like what my Speed Twin has been doing since I got it, until seeing your post I have never really given it too much thought or looked at it as being a problem, I just assumed it was a quirk of the engine, it has never caused me any problems though and the bike runs smoothly, have done around 4000 trouble free (engine wise) miles now, hope you get to the bottom of all your problems encountering no serious issues and can enjoy your drop dead gorgeous new machine, ride safe and enjoy

• Like Like x 3