New Quad Lock W/vibration Dampers 300 Mile Impressions

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by RebelHawk, Jun 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    Like many others have reported, my new iPhone 12 Pro had its camera rattled to pieces when mounted to my handlebars with a Rokform mount and case. I had used this setup with my iPhone 10 for years without issue on an Indian Scout, Scrambler 1200XE and my wife's Speed Twin but when I switched over to the 12 Pro I quickly found that it just wouldn't work for me without even trying it on my Rocket 3. I had considered just keeping my 10 for navigation purposes but I really didn't like the idea of dealing with an extra device. I looked into the QuadLock case and mounts and from the reviews it seemed like the new vibration dampener could be a feasible work around. After reading on QuadLock's website that this dampener was tested with the Rocket 3, Scrambler and Speed Twin I ordered the Handlebar Mount, case, Vibration Dampener and the Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head directly from Quadlockcase.com. Quick ship and easy mounting on my 2021 Rocket 3 GT's handle bar. The angle of my phone when mounted on the handle bar is skewed a bit to the right but not so much that it isn't perfectly visible. I've put a little over 300 miles on the bike with my phone attached and I specifically took it down the same ultra bumping road that I had previously ridden that broke my phone with the Rokform without issue. I ended up buying an 8" USB to USBC cable off Amazon that was the prefect length from the charger port behind the display and works great keeping my phone charged while running GPS for hours at a time.

The one draw back with the Quadlock handlebar mount on my Rocket 3 is I wasn't able to use the rubber ring between the mount and the handlebar so I expect that over prolonged usage the mount will rub the black finish off the bars. I guess if I don't change mounts I'll never see it so out of sight out of mind. =) Now I just have to get my wife to buy the same setup for her Speed Twin and the Indian, so a rather expense solution to a problem that shouldn't have happened if Apple did more rigorous testing on their product.

B421ECBE-BE11-459B-BEEC-EC9B2721CD72_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jage

Jage Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Cork, Ireland
    You could use electrical tape or similar to protect the bars from rubbing. Might be worth a shot

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I've been using the same on my TTR for some time now - just needed to change the top yolk nut in order to be able to use Quadlock's stem mount. It's not exactly petite but it's served me well.

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Nice to see you back on the forum again, @learningtofly! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks very much, Sandi. Life got in the way for a while.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I get that, @learningtofly! Mr. Sandi I’ve had a fair amount of stuff going on in our own lives as well, not the least of which is we have a new dog in our household which most certainly has taken priority over almost everything else these days! Hope you’re doing well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Oooh, a new dog? Have you posted photos? Hope all’s well health wise too.

I started a new full time job a while back after having had literally no income for more than a year due to COVID. I was also busy setting this up...

https://tonyangelimages.com

Sorry for the thread hijack, OP!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, @learningtofly!

I've not been on the forum for the longest stretch since I joined, I think. With our new dog taking much of our time along with some major computer issues (which remain an unsolved mystery still to be solved/resolved), I've barely even been on the internet. Anyway, hoping to get my computer problems (e-mail-related primarily) fixed this afternoon and settle in to catch up on the forum and find out what folks have been up to for the past week.

I did post some photos of our new boxer, Ellie, on the Our Pets thread. My health is pretty good, thanks for asking. Still some issues but I'm functional for most everything thank goodness. Hope your new job is good! :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mike5100

Mike5100 New Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Durham
    Are you using the quad lock mount on the Thruxton without the damper?
    Can you use the damper with the wireless charging pad?
    Is it reasonably quick to swap the whole affair between bikes or do you end up buying two whole kits (and then I’d need another one in my car )

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    I moved this over from the Speed Twin to my Rocket 3 GT. I never used mount without out the damper but I think you can as its very modular. Moving things over is a very swift process but I told my wife she needs to buy one herself for her bike if she wants one. She doesn't ride as much as I do so she generally keeps her phone in her pocket.

I've put another 4K miles on the R3GT with the mount with no issues at all. Buy it, use it and you'll love it.

IMG_2926.jpeg

• Like Like x 3