Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by carl roberts, Jun 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. carl roberts

carl roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    St Asaph N.Wales
    Hi my name is Carl, I ride a Triumph Tiger 1050 08 model, I live in N.Wales,
    I'm Having real problems with Starting the bike and wondered, if anybody has had the same problem or any advice that would help me diagnose the problem.
    I don't use the bike as often as I would like, but have it on a trickle charge when not in use.
    Bike has 44,000 miles on the clock and has had all relevant services including major at 40,000 miles,
    There is no obvious problems and a Triumph approved garage have said there is nothing wrong and all reading are where they should be, at last MOT
    I've had new battery, new starter switch, and have cleaned the earth connection but still I have problems.
    When I turn the key its like there isn't enough power to fire the engine, it's very lazy and 9 time out of 10 it will cut short, and is dead.
    If I connect my battery to jump leads it fires without issue and I'm on my way, to use yesterday as an example, had the bike on trickle charge all night, in the morning it fired and I went to work. Started bike again at dinner to make sure I didn't need an emergency evac, and It started, great, end of the day, same, finished work got on the bike, started (only just ) but started, rode about 6 miles to petrol garage to fill up, filled up and wouldn't start so I'm stranded.
    This is not the first time this has happened and I'm at the end of my tether because no one can tell me what is wrong without paying a garage £60 an hour to find a problem which in there eyes doesn't exists.
    any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Carl Roberts
    Welcome to the family. I would hazard a guess the bike is not charging right or its the wrong battery.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  3. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Carl.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  4. carl roberts

carl roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    St Asaph N.Wales
    Thanks Joe,
    I'm thinking if the battery is wrong I would hope the garage would recognise that, I'm someone with little to no mechanical skills, and I'm relaying on the garage advice, I'm in danger of looking silly but would the alternator be the issue ?
    I have had the conversation with the garage and all reading's are good, I'm assuming they can test the alternator's power ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. carl roberts

carl roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    St Asaph N.Wales

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. carl roberts

carl roberts New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    St Asaph N.Wales
    Thanks Smilinjack

Would that explain the fact I could ride for over 6miles and then have the issue of not starting ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Carl Roberts
    Yes you would. But not all garages are as they say. And yes it could be or the rectifier. Also when fitting a battery you should fully charge it first then fit. Dealers keep batteries sitting on shelves for ages then fit the battery has lost charge and as soon as you start the bike it marks the level to charge. Sorry but dealers are just making money and will tell you anything to make it.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes your bike is running till the battery has lost the charge and then won't restart.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Julian Wallis

Julian Wallis THE CORNISH PIXIE

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    Hi, buddy, welcome to the land of TRIUMPH! Anyway sounds like a battery issue with your bike, when the battery is replenished and sharp theres no issues, but batteries drop like a stone if their life is over worth trying a new one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi Carl and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hello n welcome :) For what they cost fit a new battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Julian Wallis

Julian Wallis THE CORNISH PIXIE

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    Hi, buddy, welcome to the land of TRIUMPH! Anyway sounds like a battery issue with your bike, when the battery is replenished and sharp theres no issues, but batteries drop like a stone if their life is over worth trying a new one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Hello Carl, welcome to the forum. I had a 62 reg 1050 till the end of last year and had two batteries over 7 years and 40.000 miles, mine was also kept on an optimate. As you say it's a new battery I would suggest the battery leads, there was a guy on the Tiger 1050 facebook page that used to supply a pair of upgraded leads that the people that had them raved about, describing exactly your symptoms. I never needed them myself so can't say first hand but dozens in that group did and it seemed to work. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.