New Member With Stalling Issue

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Carlos Shannonopolis, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Carlos Shannonopolis

Mar 21, 2022
    US
    New member from New England in the US. Bought my 2001 Sprint ST 955i back in 2015. It had only been ridden for 1 season due to the owner, a motorcycle mechanic getting vertigo. It was kept pristine and had 4K miles on the OD. Bought it for 2500USD, a total steal. Love the bike and have ridden it up and down the east coast of the US a couple of time. It has 11k now and has developed a stalling problem when I lay off the gas at a stop. It can’t hold the idle but starts right up. Thinking I need to balance the floats but don’t have an android phone to use the tuneecu app. Any suggestions? There are no Triumph mechanics up here in the north.

• Like Like x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    One :- it's fuel injected , so do a long ride , use all the fuel in the tank ! Refuelling as you go , try putting non ethanol fuels in !
    Two :- check plugs ! If sooty/black , could be related to above or "how's the battery"! As it's fuel injected , it requires good voltages to run the ECU to control the injection properly.
    If battery is close to it's final resting place , the alternator won't be able to supply/maintain a good 12•5+ Volt's at idle , hence it won't fuel/inject correctly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Carlos Shannonopolis

Mar 21, 2022
    US
    This is the first I have heard about the battery. Most talk about floats.

4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Your bike doesn't have carburettors ! So therefore it doesn't have floats !!
    It's fuel injected ! And therefore one thing that can affect All Running Conditions is the Battery/Electronic's is the battery.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Carlos :cool:

6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Check all the vacuum lines...any splits will cause this issues - it is exactly the same as I had on my 2002 speed triple....

I replaced all the old stiff plastic vacuum lines with silicone ones and the bike runs really sweet now (I didn't adjust anything else)!

7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    As above. You will need to remove the tank to gain access to the 3 vacuum lines to the injectors. You can buy 6mm silicone vacuum piping on ebay, has to be vacuum quality. Take off one at a time so you don't get them mixed up. Be careful with the tank connectors as they can break if they are plastic, metal ones are available.
    Fresh fuel and put additive in , ie seafoam to clean the injectors and you should be good to go.
    You may get more help if you post this in tech or sprint section.

8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…

9. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Carlos.

gump.gif

11. H white

H white New Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Hawick
    Evening everyone I've Got a triumph legend 900 bit of help if you don't mind
    Was bogging down and lurching forward . Changed plugs perfect
    Added stuff to the tank ie carb cleaner was running lovely up until today
    Won't idle in first gear anymore in fact much to my annoyance and other road users packed up about 5 times