New Member With Question!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Roger Mitchell, Sep 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roger Mitchell

Roger Mitchell New Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Lincoln
    I am currently restoring a 1971 TR6R, I am having difficulty removing the swinging arm spindle, I have removed the nut on the right hand side, the left one is stuck fast, using that nut I can turn the shaft fairly freely but cannot get the shaft to come out (having hit the right hand end fairly hard) is it possible that the shaft can only be removed to the right side?

Thanks,
    Roger....

2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Cannot help but welcome Roger

3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can answer your question.

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My recollection is that these spindles need pressing out with a hydraulic press or by constructing a puller (not possible without removal of nuts both ends). Hammering is NOT the answer as it just destroys the spindle. A popular mod is then fitting grease nipples on each side bushing so it never needs to come out again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roger Mitchell

Sep 26, 2020
    Lincoln
    Reckon I’ve worked out the problem, when I turn the spindle it’s seized in the spacer in the middle so is also turning the spacer, got to get it pressed out!
    Surprised it’s seized, only been in there 50 years!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Is there room to drill a small hole in the spacer to introduce some penetrating oil, that might ease things when it comes to pressing. It's not unknown to have to apply tons of pressure to move things like that.
    Good luck with the restoration and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roger Mitchell

Sep 26, 2020
    Lincoln
    Spent four hours on it today, tried my hydraulic puller but couldn’t get a straight enough pull to really get the pressure on, reverted to getting the nut off left end of spindle, had totally welded itself on, had to chop the nut up with cutting disc!
    Put loads of stress on the right hand nut and tapped on left, finally managed to get it out - phew

• Like Like x 4