Featured New Member Needing Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Phil mills, Dec 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Phil mills

Phil mills Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Good evening. I am a proud owner of a 1961 5TA recently purchased. The bike has beveloped a weird mis fire, this is in the left hand cylinder when sat on the bike. I have check the following and swoped side to side to check, the plugs, leads checked the cap, reset the points and rep,aced the condenser. The bike still does not spark on the left hand side. I and my dad who grew up with these are totally out of ideas
    Please help save our sanity
    Many thanks
    Phil

86CEDEF8-E616-4C46-A59C-2718F73481AA.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Welcome Phil, You say its a misfire and than go on to say it doesn't spark??Have you checked for a tight tappet? and air leaks on that side of the manifold and i would also compression check it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Evening. Sorry should have typed does not fire, I will do the checks suggested and update with results. Your input is appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    It seems to be the distributor type so has one coil to feed bother cylinders, so if the the leads have been swapped and still no spark it would have to be down to the the distributor cap or rotor arm not making enough contact or the points cam for one cylinder is somehow out of time..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Phil Mills
    Yes I would go with the distributor cap. Does the plug spark. If it does not or has a weak spark try the spark on the right plug cap see if it is any better as plugs can break down aswel. Check your cam that the contact is proper. If it is all good spark and distributor then reset the tappets. Failing that do you have single or twin carb as it may be fouling in the carb. If that doesn't work check the compression. May have a broken ring. Lovely machine by the way and really worth the effort. Also welcome to the Family you will fit right in here with the photo on your intro. Keep us all informed on the progress.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Morning
    Everything sparks on the right hand side when swoped over, I will check tappets and order a new cap. It is a single carb running the Amal 375/35 as original spec. If all else fails it makes a thing of beauty to just look at!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Just as a further thought the guyningotmitmoff said it needed a new seal to the distributor as it weals oil, if this has been out is it possible to put it back in a way that would cause the issue?

8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome Phil. Hope you get to the source of your problem. If all else fails there's a guy near Milton Keynes who refurbs classic bikes professionally might be able to help you. Let me know if you'd like his number. I have it on a card somewhere at work.

9. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Cheers Rich I will shout out if I need him. Anyone want to recommend the best place to get a cap, arm etc. I’m okay on BSA,Matchless and Enfield spares but new to Triumph
    Thanks

10. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    You can find them on ebay or here...https://www.britishbikebits.com/18d2-distributor-cap-triumph-norton-royal-enfield-etc

https://www.feked.com/lucas-distributor-cap-18d2-triumph-lu425049.html

As for the seal causing problems, if the oil is getting on the points of any HT contact it could reduce the current enough to cause a no or intermittent spark so best to replace, but you are best off replacing the cap and rotor as i have known unseen cracks to cause similar problems with lots of older cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Thanks for the advice I will get shopping and hopefully get to the bottom of this issue

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Just been out to look at the dizzy prior to ordering the cap and arm, I ha e photographed it and to me it looks like a D1 code is this correct ??

6E97216E-A304-4EE9-B0F3-830B9FC66CF6.jpeg

13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just checked my reference manual and, yes, that looks like D1......

08B34E44-5FEF-4033-BC91-5B531E5242EC.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Okay thanks, is the D1 correct for the bakebas the cap ref is D2 ......
    Thanks

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ring them. I have used both suppliers - v. helpful.

16. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Hi just a quick update... I have called a few suppliers an noone can confirm if the D1 dizzy is incorrect. As a last throw of the dice before I invest in a new D2 dizzy does anyone know. If the D1 is definitely incorrect

Thanks from a rapidly heading for insanity owner

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  18. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Cheers
    Message sent and hopefully get a reply

Once again thanks

19. Phil mills

Dec 29, 2018
    UK
    Just a quick update for all those that have helped. I have had confirmation from Tri Supply that it should have a 18D2, I will be getting one of these from the distributor doctor and once arrived and fitted I will post the results
    Once again thanks for all your help

• Like Like x 3