New Light Ruling For Mot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crispey, Mar 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Received an update email from gov.uk.

MOT inspection manual: motorcycles
    Page summary:
    Inspection processes and rules for motorcycle, scooter, moped and motorcycle combination (class 1 and 2 vehicle) MOT tests.

Change made:
    Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment – 4.1.4 Headlamps – Compliance with requirements – Sentence changed from ‘Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’ to ‘Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Have you changed the bulbs in Tracey? Would they fail then? :confused:

3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Interesting.

So

"‘Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp"

So I replaced my halogen headlamp units for LED headlamp units.

Not a conversion. A replacement.

One would therefore assume; based on the written rule above, that this is OK?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Same for me
    I have two Wasamic LED units in my 2010 Speed Triple
    It is not a conversion but a replacement.

Will see for sure when MOT is due, but I would proactively point it out to the inspector prior to test so they are educated on the application of the rule

5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire

yes, exact same....

Good luck!

6. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    I am in discussion concerning this amendment. DVSA policy admit that only opinion, created the recent amendment to 4.1.4.
    Grant Shapps referred my question back to DVSA, who regurgitated the initial crap. I've challenged that today and await further crap.

Bottom line is, 4.1.4 is not lawful. A civil servant has decided to supersede Parliament and the Queen.

Civil Service is corrupt.
    Senior Civil Servants will abuse authority and taxes , to avoid exposure. I.e., we pay for them to use ultra-expensive lawyers to keep them from accountability.
    This is the way.

Suck it up.

7. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    Update

Having been tenacious in pressing the facts with DVSA, I had agreement that the change was based upon opinion only, but would stand.
    I took the matter up via DfT, and Grant Shapps.
    I was referred back to DVSA, who regurgitated the same incorrect information. I asked that they reconsider and to my total astonishment, have just received the below in response :

"
    Firstly, I am sorry you were given incorrect information in the reply you received from Andrew. The Department for Transport provided guidance on the issue of LED headlamp bulbs in halogen headlamps, we were unaware this information only applied to cars and the information we received was not specific about either cars or motorcycles.

Therefore, an LED conversion can be legally made to a motorcycle. I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

We are in the process of amending the MOT Manual and getting the information out to testers."

That approach, of honourable acknowledgement of error, with correction, is a complete paradigm shift, for the Civil Service.

We can use safe LED headlamps and at last put some faith in public service.

I'm utterly amazed!

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    :party: Well I never!

Well bloody done!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep getting a u turn from that lot is a job well done indeed :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Well played!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Excellent work - well done!

I just hope they're quicker and more rigorous with cascading the information out and down!

Maybe I'll get those Wisamic units after all.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East

The changes have already been made. I'm still stunned!

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I spoke to my garage on Saturday to book my MOT for Wednesday
    I specifically mentioned the LED Wisamic units I have and he said there has been quite a few notifications about the change and then corrections.

I will obtain confirmation on Tuesday if they are at risk of failure, and if they pass on Wednesday with the Wisamic LED units installed I will keep you up to date.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
  15. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    What's frustrating me now is that I spent a lot of time and money getting an H4 LED that gave the right beam pattern to minimise the risk of glare to other road users.

Then the ruling about MOT failure came out so I spent quite a lot more money on buying bright white legal PIAA H4 bulbs.

And now I can put the LED back in and I'm left with used expensive H4 bulbs that will no doubt just sit in a box for years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    Me too. However, at least the LED ones, which cost me £450, can go back in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Ouch! Which ones are those?

18. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    They are Phillips. Now available for only £50 each. My bike takes 3, which retailed at £150 each, last summer. I figured as I was keeping the bike long term, they were worthwhile as OEM halogen projectors are crap.

Hence, motivated to complain, when the MoT change came in and not quit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My Speed Triple had its MOT this morning with Wisamic LED units installed
    Passed no problem
    Tester said if I had taken it in last week it would have failed, but an amendment came through on Monday

Tester adjusted the beam height so it would pass as it was a tad low.

So thanks everyone and hopefully all will be well with LED units passing MOT

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Triumphal385

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    Excellent!