New Lid Ordered... What A Deal!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by MikeyBobBlack, Feb 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I had been searching for a new lid for a little while and had narrowed it down to 2 or 3. The Bell Bullit in matte black with an iridium visor was starting to win me over but then I happened to spot the Ace Cafe Blackjack Carbon for just £289!

It has exactly the same carbon shell as used on the flat black carbon bullit which costs £500. Granted the blackjack design isn’t what I was really looking for but at that price I thought it worth taking on. In any case I actually plan to remove the paint and to take it back to an all CF base.

Here’s a pic as it looks now... i’ll Post a pic to show how it looks once I’ve removed the paint ;)

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/att...5/?temp_hash=ad1c9809057edc036e226467708488e1

5E8DB438-F42E-4840-BE86-B4434F465DEA.jpeg

2. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I bought a Bell M5X Daytona in carbon last year for £125 on Amazon. There were loads for sale.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    That seems like a good deal too... although not the right kind of lid for the look I’m after. I sure do love carbon though! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gopherit

Gopherit New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    NSW
    You might find by removing the paint you void the compliance of the helmet rendering it unsafe and non-compliant (illegal). If you crash this could create a world of problems and become a VERY expensive move! Just MHO tho!

5. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Actually this did occur to me but from the research I’ve done it seems it isn’t an issue. The paint itself has nothing to do with the compliance of the helmet and so long as the nature of the shell itself isn’t compromised in anyway it will remain compliant.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I agree, plenty of people get custom paint on their helmets (sounds painful :) ), I think that as long as it is a composite helmet and not a cheap polycarbonate one there is no issue with paints, but I suppose these days of water based paint that wouldn't be an issue?

7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I had a red Bell Daytona. I found the viewing area a tad narrow so it squeezed my brow and so had to look up at an awkward angle. It seemed more like a sit-back car/cart lid than one specifically designed for motorcycles. I suggest you try it on while on your bike to make sure the viewing angle works for you.

9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    absolute steal at that price i had a nexx carbon and it was over £300,have looked but at bell carbon but well over £200 cheapest price.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    The missus got me one of these, X Lite 802RR Carbon, for christmas a couple of years ago, lovely helmet, beautifully finished and light as a feather. For some reason I don't really wear it much though as I prefer my Shoei.

X Lite.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    punt it on unless its a spare nice looking lid that widnt mind it ma self.

• Agree Agree x 2