New Kid On The Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Barry Richardson, Mar 11, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barry Richardson

Barry Richardson New Member

Mar 11, 2023
    Liverpool uk
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    My name is Barry and it’s my first time ‘so go easy’ on me .
    And I’m here today because I’m hopelessly addicted to motorcycles ️
    It’s been years since I’ve ridden motorcycles and I’m now 56 and I’m definitely having a mid life crisis !!! to the extent that I’m seriously considering buying my brothers Speed triple, of course my wife knows nothing about this and I’m not going to tell her either !
    but my worry is the riding position I tend to lean forward and I am worried that the ride position over long distances will take its toll on the perfect temple of a chassis under my old belstaff leathers, yes that’s right the ones from 2002 that the zipper struggles getting from the nether regions to the upper regions because the six pack turned into a Barrel almost overnight But seriously is the answer to install risers and will they make much difference to the ride position??? The days of head down arse up days are a thing of the past and im hoping for the sit up and beg kinda ride to be the future however I’m unsure what if any difference the risers will make to the riding position. I love the look of the street triple and I can get the bike for a good price, but I don’t know how comfortable the ride would be .
    So if you Motörhead’s out there can shred any light on this matter I would be most interested.
    Well that’s my introduction to the group and I hope to hear from anyone with any insight into this dilemma I have on weather the Triumph street triple is the bike for me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Barry :cool: for me the Street Triple is fine in terms of lean but too scrunched up in terms of pegs. Not sure of your dimensions but I am 6'1" and 100kgs, added to that I was on the Street Triple 765 R LRH ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Aye up Baz. You mentioned a Speed and a Street Triple in your post so not sure which one you are looking at. I have a Speed Triple RS and previously had a 2014 Speedy. I have ridden both round Scotland doing up 10 hour days with only the usual niggles. No where near like a sports bike position. I am 6' 1" with dodgy knees!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome, assuming the Street is what you're looking at, I have the 2021 Street (LRH) - I am on the shorter side at 5ft4 ish and about 58kg or so and find that I do have some forward lean, it does feel more "sports" than other naked bikes I have ridden (apart from 125s only the Gladius and SV650 though, so limited experience!) but in a very comfortable way. I am on a Facebook group for Street Triples and bar risers are a really common addition to the 765 models for a more comfortable ride, especially for the more mature riders amongst us.

I don't know what year you're looking at getting, but the 675 Streets feel pretty different to me when I have sat on them. There are loads of people on here who own (or have owned) many iterations so hopefully they'll be able to advise far better than I can.

ps Your wife will know; she won't know exactly what you're up to......but I am sure her spidey senses will be tingling. You'll be "thinking" more and have "that" up - to - something look on your face ;) :laughing:.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  6. Barry Richardson

Mar 11, 2023
    Liverpool uk
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am 105 kilos and 6.0 tall, so I’m pretty much the same size as you but I’m sorry for the confusion but the bike I am thinking of buying is a street triple 675 my mistake, hahaha I must be getting old because I don’t even remember what the name of the bike is : unamused:
    That I’m considering,Duh ! :p

• Like Like x 3
  7. Barry Richardson

Mar 11, 2023
    Liverpool uk
    Thanks for the advice I am considering a street triple 675 2012 model so it’s a old one now but beautiful condition, a bit like the missus . Now with compliments like that I think I can keep myself out of danger ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Barry Richardson

Mar 11, 2023
    Liverpool uk
    Thanks dawsy my mistake it’s the street triple 675 2012 model but in fantastic condition, I have decided to buy the bike and after no sleep :zzz:and blisters on my fingers I have decided that I will put some 20mm risers on it just to raise it up that little bit , thanks for your input and I hope the knees improve ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    There speaks a woman who knows her husband inside out :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    It's a particular look and if it's coupled with the phrase "so I've been thinking"......standby :laughing:.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Welcome Barry :cool:

I have fitted bar risers, different bars and new top yokes to various bikes for the same reason. However, I thought the same as the others on here that the Speed Triple is already quite and upright riding position.

Do you have any photos for us to look at perhaps?

Cheers

Geoff

12. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I would say so :grinning:.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…

15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #15 Eldon, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Hi Barry and welcome,.
    I have two Street triples, a 2009 675R and a 765 RS.
    Both bikes have 765 handlebars which are wider and present the wrists differently which I like, but when I fitted them to the 675 I noted the throttle cable was tight on full lock. A new pair of +25mm cables were £56 but resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

Bearing the above in mind, if you do fit risers then it would be wise to check for any conflicts carefully.

I didn't see you state whether yours was an R or not as the suspension is adjustable and better brakes on the R model which affects the value/ price?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! ;)
    Your introduction was great!!!:)

17. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Hi and welcome from across the pond.

I can't speak much about the riding position and the effect of risers on the Street Triple, as I have always ridden cruisers. I'm 6'2" tall. I bought a Speedmaster and found it a bit cramped and I was hunched over. I added risers and it did help. I cranked the handlebar up a bit too. I also had to install highway bars so I could mount pegs to give me a bit of leg extension.

As to the wife, that is a subject on which I can speak with some authority, coming up on 49 years of marriage. Whenever I bought a big-ticket toy like a motorcycle, car, firearm or large piece of lawn care equipment, she did not know until I arrived at home with it. She would not speak to me for two weeks. So, I had my new toy and peace and quiet for two weeks. WIN, WIN!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1