Featured New Indicators And Rear Light

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by steve lovatt, Dec 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Finally fitted my new Lucas style rear light from Square Deals (along with their "plug and play harness". Much better looking than the original as are the brushed chrome indicators.
    The relocation brackets were bought from the cheap Chinese site Wish (thanks to Wayne for the heads up on this one). I think the rear brackets were only £3.00 with free postage and nothing I've ordered from there has taken longer than 14 days to arrive.
    20171204_135053.jpg 20171204_135101.jpg 20171204_135125.jpg 20171204_135048.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    much better!! did the indicators come with therearlight or did you buy them seperate? i prefer them to mine as the light is visible from the side, which make are they?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Really nice!

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks! No, I bought them separately as I really liked the style. They are not LED but are brighter than the originals. The make is Lockhart Phillips Aluminium Series Turn Signals - they were came up on one of those random facebook adverts. I ordered them as they were £20.83 a pair, which I thought was a good price but fortunately they come from the States so the postage is about £28.00 plus taxes! :mad::mad: Very pleased all the same though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Nice job would look even better with the headlight ears swapped out or just blank off the old holes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's the next job. I have the new brackets but just haven't had time to change them over yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Looks really good. Much better than the stockers (though personally Id have to find another way to route the wiring)

8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Looks nice steve, Ann can-bus problems?

9. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Whoops meant to read any...

10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That will happen when I fit the new headlamp brackets and as it now turns out new fork gaiters as the old ones have split!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not so far - fingers crossed! The indicators and the idiot warning light work ok and there have been no engine management light issues - yet!

12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Whooooooo!

13. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    That looks pretty smart mate :) I've just fitted a similar tail light to mine but I was doing it on the cheap so raided the depths of my shed for left over parts from other projects, this did mean I had to spend ages on the wiring though and I also discovered that if you fit short stem indicators into the headlight brackets you can no longer get the ignition key in!

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Cheers - Yes I had that problem on my first Bonneville so I had to get the relocation bracket for the indicators, although I don't mind the position off the headlamp bracket I've already moved the ignition to the centre of the instrument bracket on this bike so could have fitted them by the headlamp.

15. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    I decided to relocate my ignition switch too, funny enough it was something that I wanted to do anyway simply because it used to irritate the hell out of me seeing the keyring swinging about wildly alongside the headlight all the time I was riding at motorway speeds!

16. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Here's a pic of the back end of mine, I replaced the rack with a second hand grab rail, the mudguard is a chopped down old trailer one and the indicators are cheapies from M&P.

DSCN2757.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Same here - the swinging key also rubbed the paint off the headlamp bracket :mad:

18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Looks neat. Are the indicators bolted directly into the mudguard? Also curious about the exhausts - what make are they?

19. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Yes I was looking for somewhere to fit them that would also allow me to use throw over panniers and simply drilling into the mudguard seemed the best place. In that photo they are just straight through but since then I've made up some ally plates sprayed satin black to match that spread the load across a bigger area of the mudguard to hopefully guard against vibration fractures. I also made up some matching ally plates to use on the front to disguise to a degree the indentation where the original indicators fitted. Obviously the wiring to the tail light and indicators is secured and protected where it has to run under the mudguard.
    The pipes are Norman Hyde ones, they are loud enough to sound like a proper bike but have enough silencing to allow me to creep past plod or go out for an early ride without the neighbours kicking off. Personally though I think they splay out too far but I haven't as yet figured how to modify the mounts to bring them in but still clear the swingarm assembly.

20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well guess what? Half way through a ride and the RH indicators stopped working!
    LH side work OK and at normal speed but both front and rear RH ones don't.
    First job - swapped bulbs across and the RH bulbs work in the LH indicator.
    Second; checked fuse No.7 but as the brake light and horn still work it wasn't that.
    Third; checked the flasher unit - but figured that either works or it doesn't.
    Fourth; swapped indicators over at the front - RH one worked on LH circuit.
    Fifth; unplugged the harness for the rear indicators and rear light and both front indicators work fine!
    Sixth; tried another indicator as the RH rear and it worked.
    Seventh; took the RH indicator apart and found that the insulation on one wire had been cut and was shorting out.
    Problem solved - all working again! :cool::cool:

(I still hate electrics though!) :mad::mad:

20180109_114931.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1