New Helmet Day!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Clarkey231, Apr 23, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Almost as exciting as new bike day. I’ve been using an Arai Quantum ST for the last 8 or so years. Very comfy lid and seems to fit the absolute best. I’ve never liked the visor locking button or the visor removal system.

A few months back I went to Bristol to the Sportsbike shop to try on as many lids as I could, came away with one clear favourite, the Shoei Neotec 2. It had the features I was after namely flip front, in built sun visor and better visor lock. Ticked all the boxes so just bought one. Got it from Get Geared as googled discount and got £75 off if over £500.
    Also paying using Klarna at 0% interest which dulls the pain off a £545 purchase!

F67C286F-DE99-4175-81EA-EEF8201932CE.jpeg

613A51EA-C54E-4CFA-AACA-4E8B61B5554D.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Great lid! It's always annoyed me that Aria wont fit an internal sun visor to their helmets.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Interesting. That's the one feature I don't want as I have specs that darken in sunlight and I always feel that the internal visor compromises the shock absorbtion capability of the lid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Yes I assumed that was the reason but also know/ think Shoei is as respected as Arai?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I have those glasses too, thing is the visor cuts uv light so photochromic glasses hardly darken behind them. Aria wont even make a photochromic visor either. Shoei and others do. You can get a pinlock insert that darkens but it has the same issue as the glasses. It has to sit behind the uv shielding visor so its quite ineffective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. kwikness

kwikness New Member

Apr 22, 2022
    Orlando
    great thread, helping me decide on which new helmet to buy, thanks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    ha cheers. I originally saw a Klim flip front helmet on Sportsbike shop and wanted that purely on looks so as I said decided to go and look. Glad I did cos as soon as I put it on I realised it wasn’t for me. Also saved me from ordering loads to try on and send back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Looks great!! I really love the drop - down visors in helmets, but have found that having a "characterful" nose means that the Shark ones just clip the very end of it very slightly as they drop down. Still makes you jump, even when you're expecting it. So a "friend" with such a nose tells me anyway....... :p:grinning:.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #9 Sandi T, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    My understanding is that neither modular helmets nor with an internal drop down sun visor meet Snell safety requirements. I’m not sure if that has changed or not but I did a bit of research on that a while back. Most Shoei models meet or exceed the Snell requirements but I believe the Neotech and GT Air (as named in US) are exceptions because of that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Going by this video, Snell safety ratings are, erm... overrated

Aria says internal visors compromise protection. Shoei says they don't compromise protection or thickness of the padding round the visor area. I doubt very much the presence of a drop down visor will have any difference on the outcome of an accident. A gopro stuck to the helmet might though, wasn't that rumored to be a factor in Michael Schumachers sking incident?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes great lid, I’ve had mine a while and it does everything well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes great lid, I’ve had mine a while and it does everything well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Craig biker tiger

Craig biker tiger New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Somerset
    Iv had my neotec 2 for nearly a year now and I think it's the most comfortable lid iv found. It's not the quietest but certainly not a noisy beast. I have the srl kit fitted for intercom and tunes and it's awesome apart from when on the motorway or those higher speeds it then seems a little quiet and tinny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I put a light-sensitive pinlock visor on mine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It's true it sits behind the actual visor but it's not ineffective.I don't get blinded any more since I fitted one to my Arai.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Good to hear it works for you! My mate has the same setup and we compared it with a photochromic visor I had, there was quite a difference in tint between then. Good that it goes dark enough to do the job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #17 Octoberon, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Yes, that's the crucial point - it may not be as tinted but it needs to go dark enough to ride without being blinded. I'd say mine does, just about.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. encee

encee New Member

Jan 30, 2022
    Manchester
    How sensitive do you find the tinted Pinlock mate ? Only reason I ask is that it sounds a good solution for me, too, but my eyes aren`t good in darker conditions, so I would only want one if it tints when it`s a really bright, sunny day, and not just if it`s moderately sunny with cloud-cover, if that makes sense ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. encee

encee New Member

Jan 30, 2022
    Manchester
    Ah, apols; only just seen this after I`d answered your comment above - that sounds perfect for me, as I would only want something that "just about" goes dark enough, as opposed to being too dark, too quickly ! I can`t even drive with sunglasses on that are too dark, because of that reason. Thanks for the input though, and a good thread this, as it helps some of us out there trying to make the right decision a new lid ! Cheers...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    You're not that far from me by the look of it so if you want to see it for yourself sometime on a sunny day, let me know. :blush:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1