Tiger Explorer New Guy On A 1200 Xcx

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by lambrettatastic, Nov 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lambrettatastic

lambrettatastic New Member

Jun 18, 2015
    swindon
    hi all..... picked up my new to me tiger 1200 xcx (67 plate with 2k miles) on Friday...now I absolutely love this bike......but.... I think its going to make me go deaf.
    at anything above the upper 20 mph there is a really loud noise, hard to tell where from but initially I thought it was wind noise but now not sure, almost reminds me of a worn out wheel bearing on a car.
    anyone else had this, is it just a thing with these. I'm due to go back to the dealer anyway and will mention it , but just a little bit of not wanting to be fobbed off planning.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Lambrettatastic.
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right and let us all see the beastie. Would also help if we could hear the noise. Alought not impossible it's rare for a bearing to collapse at 2000 miles unless it's got a stone or something trapped in there. I take it your brakes are all working well and discs floating correctly. But yes do get it checked.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Welcome from North Wales enjoy the bike and the forum 98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  5. lambrettatastic

Jun 18, 2015
    swindon
    Thanks guys...will try to record the noise.brakes work well, but quite a squeal...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lambrettatastic

Jun 18, 2015
    swindon
    Out with the old , in with the new...Harley looked cool...but very uncomfortable to ride.

13746E71-9222-4280-B276-9810DF0B04B0.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lambrettatastic

Jun 18, 2015
    swindon
    so, interesting morning at the dealers....basically I was told the loud noise is the front tyre, and all tigers suffer from it. I wasn't having that and the tech took it for a test ride. he agreed it was quite loud and put it down to an uneven worn front tyre and again said they are standard fit metzelers and are known for being a bit shit! so I ended up speaking to the manager and without getting shouty, said i'm not accepting that after owning a bike for 5 days I have to put new tyres on it. he assured me it was safe and had a full test before sale. So during this test did you not notice the uneven worn tyre and the noise...???
    So eventually he has agreed to fit a new front tyre, at no cost....

so, is this true about the Metzelers? what are the other options?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, I hope the new tyre fixes the problem for you....

10. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I never had any problems with mine. Raise front when and spin it off the ground - let us all know..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Lambrettatastic.
    Not heard of it but possibly if the tyre is a dodgy one maybe. Only time will tell when you get the new tyre on the bike.
    Regards
    Joe.