New discs and pads again!!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Acko, Jul 29, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Acko

Acko New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Derby
    Hi all,
    Speed triple 2012, brake shudder experienced at 4k miles, brakes cleaned out by dealer and checked, problem returned almost instantly. Discs and pads replaced under warranty, 2.5k later same problems, diagnosis by dealer indicated warped discs....new pads and discs are now being replaced under warranty again. Dealer is at a loss to explain .....any ideas chaps...headstock bearings and callipers have been inspected and passed ok

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    No this is the first time I have heard of this issues with these bikes.

Maybe you have just had a couple of bad sets of discs??

Just trying to think what else it could be, I take that the wheel bearings and headstock are all okay??

The only other thing is if the brake carrier is out of alignment.

Very weird.

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi I had my front Brembo discs replaced under warranty at about 6k when I had 2012 Speed Triple. Mine went after a big tour of Scotland where we weren't hanging around but not racetrack stuff.
    My dealer could not explain why it happens, just glad it happened under warranty. It was the only problem I had over two years of ownership.

4. Acko

Acko New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Derby
    Hi Richard,
    Pidcocks have been great over it, they have managed to get Triumph to fund it even though it's out of its manufacturers warranty. They are just at a loss to explain it, obviously not the only instance......I just wonder if the discs are up to the Brembo callipers.

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    It was Pidcocks who sorted mine out, I do rate them and the guy on the service desk. You may be right about the discs, I have a mate who had 3 sets of discs on his ST 1050 Sprint! (all went after big Euro trips up and down the Alpine mountain passes)
    Still miss that Speed Triple; one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Whoever bought it second hand from Pidcocks got a great bike.

6. Acko

Acko New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Derby
    Well I have it back, new discs and pads fitted, no explanation..just mucho scratching of heads. They also have a Trophy in with the same problem. Anyway I'm off to Rag it round Snetterton next weekend, so I'll keep you posted.

7. Acko

Acko New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Derby
    Hi all,
    Update....full track day at Snetterton, brakes performed well, no warping as yet, two long straights at Snetters so they were worked hard enough to bring the ABS on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I have this problem aswel, and what I noticed was all the floater discs where seized. I freed them all off so they rotate and this seemed to reduce the shudder. I will remove the wheel so I can oil and give them a good clean properly.