Featured New carbon fibre parts installed - Speed Triple S

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Pabs, Apr 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pabs

Pabs Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Plymouth
    Hello

I have purchased a few pieces for my Speed S from a company called carbonFBR. I would like to say that I am NOT affiliated with the company or the owner.

The owner is a Triumph rider and sells lots of parts for the Street Triple. He has just sent moulds away to have parts made for the street 2017.

After a discussion with him late last year he shipped some of his prototype pieces to me and I was very impressed with the quality. I ended up buying what I could afford! I opted for a twill weave as it matches the arrow system and IMO stands out a little more than plain which can from a distance look black rather than carbon. Plain is also available.

The fit is exceptional as I hope my camera phone pictures show and to give you an idea on price the tank infills are £100 vs Triumphs £400 and half the price of some other competitors. All goods came expertly packaged and I even got a little key ring. For any Scottish owners I believe he is based up your next of the woods. :)

www.carbonfbr.com

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    That looks stunning.

3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Very nice !

4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's looking really classy - fantastic against the red. Very nice!

I can vouch for carbonFBR too - I've just fitted their tail light surround. I'd say the twill looks much better, but I've had to stick with plain, because it matches the existing carbon on my R. It's only the exhaust tips that are in twill...but so far my OCD is coping.

2017-04-26 12.29.47.jpg

2017-04-26 12.29.47.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pabs

Pabs Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Plymouth
    That does look great against the matt paint!

Odd that triumph had lamborgni design their carbon in plain carbon and arrow design there exhaust in twill carbon !??

With what they charge it should match.

6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Indeed. Go figure.

Your fork side-guards look great in carbon. I thought about those, but as my mudguard is already carbon, decided it would look too much. I think I prefer your combination to be honest.

What's next Pabs? Surely you need these...especially as your hugger is exposed without the under-seat exhausts:

2016-09-22 18.21.18.jpg

(Conquest Carbon hugger and chain guard to give credit where it's due.)

For the record, the fit of parts from both CC and carbonFBR are excellent, however I did have to drill two holes in my carbonFBR taillight surround that were missing. No big deal really - and it was interesting to see just how tough carbon fibre is, even when attacked with a brand new drill bit.

2016-09-22 18.21.18.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Thanks for the post and confidence in us Pabs. Great to read the feedback. MrTriple, it should be a direct copy of the OEM piece so no extra holes should be needed. The Speed 11 & 16 has the same tail light surround, fender sides, hugger, chain guard and lower chain guard; confirmed by two Triumph dealers. No new mould was created for the tail light surround (to date nobody has mentioned any missing holes to us). Pls let me know in case I need to feed this back or this was a mistake by a factory worker.

Hope to help you guys out again in the future.
    Jacques

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pabs

Pabs Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Plymouth
    #8 Pabs, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

Thank you for the compliments... I fancy a few more pieces but undecided on the mudguard as i quite like the matt finish of the plastic and not drawing attention away from other parts if the bike. The chainguard and sprocket cover maybe next.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I didn't realise you were on here Jacques - my son ordered the part for me (together with his Daytona 675R tail undertray), so we've not spoken.

It's definitely missing a hole on each side - here's a photo that explains with less words:

2017-04-26 19.29.24.jpg

It's feasible that the part can be installed without these two bolts, but they help maintain structural integrity and provide a solid base when fitting the seat cowl. I've already mentioned my OCD...and even thinking about having two bolts left over makes me sweaty ;)

The tail looks lovely and your helpful attitude will keep me coming back for more :)

2017-04-26 19.29.24.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Stop being ridiculous. Get a grip - you're in denial. It will look amazing, especially in the weave finish!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    looks good,i had a look at the web site but can't see an address for them:confused: it would be better if they said where they are based as a lot of people are put off if the web site only shows a mobile number and an email address..even if they just said which town and include a land line number that would be better

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pabs

Pabs Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Plymouth
    Ill text jacques and mention this too him. Its a small operation. I think he has a good facebook page if that helps.

In terms of trust he wantes to send me every piece of carbon to trial fit last year. Im based in plymouth and he was in scotland. I expect he will take it on board

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    #13 Bel, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Ah I see, I will look into it indeed. It's very light and strong, looking at the part diagram there are 3 bolts and plastic rivets and the 2 rubber grommets so shouldn't be any issue but I like to keep to OEM spec. Strangely those 2 holes aren't on the SP16 diagram

I keep a eye on forums for bits and bobs and I'm a moderator on the UK street triple forum. I used to be a member here but couldn't find my login so created a new one. Wanted to at least answer any questions that might pop up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    #14 Bel, Apr 26, 2017
    I'll definitely take it on board, thank for that. I'm a one man band and not always in so don't advertise where I'm located for security reasons but totally understand that not knowing my address will scare folks away. I'll add some info of the town I'm located in. I'm part of multiple forums and Facebook groups so word of mouth and me always being available via my FB page does help ease distrust. My landline is in but removed the handset due to continues spam calls and only use the mobile for all business calls. Will have to think about that as I don't want to put the phone in and it just rings out, people will be very unhappy with that.

Thank for this, l'll think about the best solution that works (I hope).

FB: https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber/

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Strange the diagram doesn't show the extra holes and the use of them. Normally the diagram are pretty accurate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I can only agree with you Jacques - there are no holes in that diagram.

On the bike, the three bolts secure the tail light end, but the bolts that go through the 'missing holes' hold the front part securely against the frame - which means that the rubber grommet holes are more stable and can't flex.

I'll go and whip a panel off and take a photo of where it fixes to the frame...

(Sorry to hijack your thread Pabs...but it's for the good of humanity...and surely you're going to need this part too ;))

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    Cool, yeah I would need to get hold of a SP11 as well to see if it is there as well.
    Indeed, sorry Pabs. Back to the regular programming

18. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Here you go Jacques - you can see why I got the drill out to make the holes...

2017-04-27 10.04.22.jpg 2017-04-27 10.03.13.jpg

2017-04-27 10.03.13.jpg

2017-04-27 10.04.22.jpg

19. Bel

Bel New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Edinburgh
    #19 Bel, Apr 27, 2017
    Great, thank you. I'll check the ones I have on the shelve; I will speak to the factory and show them the pics. I'll confirm with them if the OEM part they have there has the hole (it's SP11 one) and make sure it's on the next batch. It's covered by the seat panel so it's won't hurt being there and not in use on SP11 models.

Strange that no one has mentioned this to me of all the SP11 owners that has bought them in the past, it's only now the SP16 folks are getting them this has been highlighted. It's the old case of we don't know there is a issue till someone mentions it. Just wish it's was a on email and not on a public board lol but I have nothing to hide.

UPDATE: Photos has been sent onto the factory to make sure it's on the next batch.

Looking at the 2 different subframe and they both have some form of bracket but not the same. Shows you need to know these bikes inside out. Triumph dealer couldn't even tell us this and confirmed both rear light surround part is identical.

SP11
    [​IMG]
    SP16
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've had my fair share of hiccups with aftermarket parts for this bike:
    • R&G didn't know about their own adapters required to accommodate the Arrows exhausts
    • ASV levers didn't fit and were returned - I was met with apathy by the manufacturer and 18 months later, they're still not compatible (despite listing them for 2016)
    • Evotech's tail tidy fitted, but they had no idea (at all) whether the indicators would clear the Arrows
    • Oberon sent some levers last week (after some photo sharing and direct discussion to make sure they had the kill switch tab) - but they don't have the tab and I returned them (they ignored my request asking when they might be available and showed no further interest)
    • R&G sold me a simple front paddock stand, but Öhlins forks aren't compatible with the 'peg' type adapters (and of course they didn't know the solution was to buy their own 'cup' type adapters)
    Jacques, given the frustration I've had with other suppliers, when confronted with a problem I generally try to solve the issue myself. This hopefully explains why I didn't contact you privately, as simply drilling two holes was an absolute doddle.

Forums like this are a great place for sharing experiences - it's where we go for help, when the people that ought to know the answers, can't (or won't) help.

The attitude and interest that you have demonstrated towards finding out more about this minor issue, and sharing how you intend to resolve it, is a great advertisement for you and the quality of your products. That's what gives me confidence :)

• Like Like x 3