New Bonnie Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by jimbonaut, Nov 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jimbonaut

jimbonaut New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Prince Edward County
    Hi all, good to be here. I just traded the CB750 I built for a 2016 Bonnie T120, all happened a bit out of leftfield but sometimes the best things do. Loading up mine -

[​IMG]

picking up his -

[​IMG]

and now I have this beauty in my garage -

[​IMG]

Bike's in great nick, will need a bit of tlc but before I get there I want her running. She fired up just fine when me and the guy did the trade, but now the bike's in my garage I can't get it to idle at all. Seems to be only firing on the right cylinder, left exhaust is not hot at all. Had the battery on charge so I'm pretty sure it's not that, and have a new set of plugs on order (when I pulled the plugs they were definitely gas fouled - cleaned them up but to not much avail). There's also a strange (to me) whirring noise (like an intake of air) coming from the faux carb area (fuel injectors?).

Hoping the spark plugs will do the trick - anything else I should be on the look out for? I also have to pull the clutch when I hit the starter button to get the engine to fire - is this normal on these bikes?

Thanks guys from Montreal

• Like Like x 3
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @jimbonaut:
    Sorry for your CB750, but your T120 looks great!!!

I also have to pull the clutch when I hit the starter button to get the engine to fire - is this normal on these bikes?

Yes, it is normal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hello Jim :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    hi and welcom to the form ,check for a vacuum leak or pipe that has come off. there is a couple of small vacuum hoses at the fuel injection bodies

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jimbonaut.
    Welcome to the family. What a sweet Honda and great intro and fantastic pictures. Yes your bonnie if it was stored get rid of the fuel and try new fuel with an injector cleaner mixed. And yes plugs are wise also look at the coils make sure they got a good healthy spark. When testing make sure the plugs stay grounded. And the plug caps check they are not arcing.
    All new bike require you to pull the clutch lever to start. Do let us all know how you get on.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jimbonaut

jimbonaut New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Prince Edward County
    #7 jimbonaut, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys and the advice. I'm from the UK originally - Joe McDonald, I failed (dramatically) my driving test on that huge roundabout in Slough next to what used to be Brunel bus station so I have mixed memories of the place!

I'll pick up some new plugs today and will check to see if the plug caps are arcing - I read somewhere that these caps can crack and cause problems. What are the steps to access the fuel injectors to check the hoses - do I need to remove the gas tank?

Also, is the best way to drain the fuel just an old school siphon?

Also also, can you recommend a product for cleaning the injectors? Sea Foam? I live in minus 4750 degree Montreal so the bike's gonna be cold for a while. I always add fuel stabilizer to my old carbureted bikes (Sta-Bil) over the winter - do you guys do the same thing with new, fuel-injected bikes too?

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jimbonaut
    Well you are not on your own there i failed my car test there. Don't know why I was driving over heading for Wexham and had the green light when a car heading into Slough crashed the lights to say the least i drove into the side of him. He never stopped. Stupid old examiner started ranting and i told him i was driving the bloody car so shut up. Never did understand why he told me to get out of the car. Never did take a car test again.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber