New Bonneville thoughts and mods

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by John T, Jul 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I was lucky enough to get the new Bonnie ahead of time from the new dealers in the North East, Newcastle Triumph who I must say are a great set of lads
    Now run in I have to say it's up their with the best bikes I've owned over many years. It's like I've reconnected to bikes properly and we just seemed to have totally gelled I just love it !

Now for a few little mods well it wouldn't be a bike if you don't mess about a bit. Little bit of practical first Triumph's own grab rail and rack which looks very tidy.
    Less practical but more fun are the Remus Slip On cans now on order hoping they sound as good as the video!
    Also in contact with Hagon with a view to changing the rear shocks which whilst the originals look good performance wise I feel they are the week point of the standard bike

After that I'm going to wait a while (probably) and see what else comes on the market...considering luggage and maybe a bit of wind protection next

Anyone else started down this 'you know it makes sense/essential extra etc etc' route yet ?

2. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Yep so far concentrated on performance, rear Hagons, exhaust, remap, torque kit, removed all the omissions bollocks. Probs wait to winter on the cosmetics!

• Like Like x 1
  3. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    The catalogue has lots of farkles which will gradually make their way on to my T120 (useful when family asks what you want for birthday/Xmas etc.!).
    So far I've added the Comfort Seat, LED indicators and the small screen (I think described as tall screen, but it isn't).
    Thought about a rack, but settled for buying a Kriega US20 tail pack, which straps nicely to the seat (I don't take pillions).
    Suspension I agree is a bit basic, but my scratching days are long gone, so I think I can live with it. Could be a bit fruitier-sounding though, so replacement slip-ons may follow later.
    Overall, I love this bike !

4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    performance, rear Hagons, exhaust, remap, torque kit, removed all the omissions bollocks. Probs wait to winter on the cosmetics!

You have me very interested prey tell more ?

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Has no one asked for pictures yet?

6. BruLan

BruLan Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Rangemore Staffordshire
    I've recently Inherited a T100, and doing similar,
    So Far I've lowered the Pegs (i'm 6'2") thats made a huge difference, - its well worth spending the time and fiddle adjusting the Gearchange and Brake lever accordingly
    I've fitted a Flyscreen again HUGE difference.
    Back Shocks are arriving Monday and then its Progressive Fork Springs next weekend.
    Will start on Seat when I've done all I can to improve Ride and Comfort, Rack & Grab rail to follow as needed, but want to get it Comfy before I take my Wife on it ..... no rush there then !

• Like Like x 2
  7. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hi Steve thanks I will get some photos on soon once I get the Remus cans fitted and work out my way around the forum
    For the record I had a sprint Before this but I never even gelled with that one.
    Got a street triple R which I love although it being ignored a bit at the moment plus a project 76 Trident T160 and my old gal a Guzzi Le Mans 1 that I've had from the early 80s
    I love the roads of North Northumberland and the borders so hopefully I'll catch up with some of you over the summer

• Like Like x 1
  8. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    That's the Hagons ordered from Dave who was very helpful. Comments about the medium sized screens got me thinking too...

9. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    image.jpeg Ordered the Hagons Monday and got them Wednesday made to order superb service

Had a go round the Borders and Northumberland yesterday and wow they have transformed the bike it's bloody brilliant now

Here's a photo before the Hagons land and get fitted These are the very adjustable Nitron type

• Like Like x 3
  10. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The Remus exhausts landed about 3 weeks after ordering and paying for them(made to order I was told)

First impressions were of a genuine quality item. Fitted Saturday pretty easy job and all lined up well (mucho relief when they didn't foul the Hagon shocks) worked out at end I didn't need to take the pivot pins out of the pillion footrest to get to hex head of mounting bolt which necesitates an awkward refit with spring plate and ball bearing....next time just wedge the end of the bolt !
    'Heat shields' a bit fiddly and worm drive clips for these and one exhaust clamp bolt needed trimming slightly but no great issues.

What wasn't obvious was how to remove the baffle plate. We worked out there was a small 'anti removal EU plate'stopping the circlip being compressed enough but once yorked out they finally succumbed and wow that's better

Hopefully you can make out the before and after in the photos. Fingers crossed for a run out tomorrow to give them a try

• Like Like x 4
  11. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    One other mod was to fit a scottoiler. The standard one needs fitting to a down tube but I went for the smaller race version which has a reservoir small enough to fix to the air intake scoop behind the left side panel so virtually invisible.
    Also worth mentioning is that the raked up and shorter Remus pipes allow easy access for chain adjustment over the standard ones which need to be removed to do this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jboy

Jboy Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire
    John, i too will be fitting a scottoiler. Is there easy access to a vacuum pipe then? The rest should be a doddle. Cheers jon

13. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    image.jpeg Yes there a handy vacuum pipe on that side

Here's a photo

Hope it makes sense !
    image.jpeg

14. Jboy

Jboy Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire
    Yep, thats excellent news then. I know they are old fashioned but I do like scottoilers because once on and set up you can pretty much leave the chain set alone. Thank you

15. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    I've just been to look at which add ons to have fitted from new.

What are your thoughts on:

1) luggage grab rail and rack kit
    2) LED indicators - which ones long stem or conversion
    3) dresser bar (bike is black and chrome) can't decide whether to stay black, go chrome or not bother but some protection against falling off the stand would be good I think as I've had this happen before and it cracked my plastics which cost a few quid to repair

Anyone else added much stuff in terms of tank pads, bobbins or the like?

16. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I had LED indicators fitted - short stem on the back, long (medium?) on the front (in case I wanted to fit the touring screen at a later date, as short stem ones won't clear it).
    I don't carry a pillion, so just use a Kriega US20 bag strapped to the seat via the chrome rails; no need for a rack that way.
    Also fitted comfort seat.
    On previous bikes I had R&G Aero bungs and will probably fit those when they become available for T120.

17. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    I've used R&Gs before but usually to protect the plastics, thought the dresser bar may give more protection to the tank and casings

18. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    The rack is a nice piece for kit
    Seat wise I will most likely be giving it to Saddlecraft in South Shields for gel pads and who's done some great work for me in the past
    I do fancy some protection but it's what won't spoil the looks and work as well (although a low speed or fall off the stand doesn't help appearances either☹️)
    Looking at a screen too but same applies as above. My lad actually is actually working as a tech in the new Local Triumph dealer so seeking opinions from him too as he works on different bikes and accessories

• Like Like x 1
  19. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Let me know what his thoughts are on the bits I've suggested if he used to seeing the bikes on a daily basis, especially the dresser bars as they're the things I'm least sure about

20. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    The R&Gs I had on my previous bike (a Hon*a NC750X) did a good job of protecting the cases when it fell off the side stand and also when a Peugeot hit me side on (no damage to bike at all, but he lost his grille), so I think I'll go with them again, as they're pretty unobtrusive when fitted (though I quite like the look of the dresser bars too!). Be interested to see what John T's lad has to say.