New Biker - Which Model..

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by docjohn, Dec 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. docjohn

docjohn New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    essex
    Thanks for the add to the forum. I am coming to biking after many years of car driving ( prior experience is Sports moped of the late 70s) and am strongly attracted to British classic look. So I am thinking of a Bonny or related model. I was after a model guide to be able to understand what changes happened over the years and which model is probably closest to what I am after... Is there a model guide by year somewhere ?

I've yet to get licensed - that is on the cards early next year...

Grateful if someone can point me to a model year guide ..thank you...

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Don't get a model bike - get a full size one. :laughing:

I'll get me coat.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello docjohn and welcome to the forum :)

6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Welcome in to our madhouse. This is the best forum just to let you know. Any of the modern ‘retro’ Bonnevilles are good from the last sixteen years to new with mainly differences on electrics and visual looks. They are all in our ‘family’ on here and the earlier retro ones can be tinkered with more than the very new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BykerBry

BykerBry Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    You are thinking along the right lines. You may find this link very useful.
    https://www.tomcc.org/Triumph/Models

I bought my Bonneville SE 6 months ago and it was my first Triumph after over 50 years of biking and I love it. So much that I have now bought a Speedmaster as well and I love that too. Not quite as much as Bonnie though.

Enjoy your planning project. Sometimes as much fun as actually buying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the nut house you should fit right in.
    Tucker:mask:

9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum docjohn.
    The Bonnies are great bikes, all of them.
    If you are on the shorter side, the 17" cast wheel is a good choice.
    If you plan on touring or a lot of 2 up riding the T120
    For sporty, the Thruxtons
    Definitely take as many test rides as you can.
    Last point: Ride safely and take your time getting to know the bike, massive step up from the sports mopeds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Docjohn and welcome in to the Triumph Asylum - buying a modern classic Bonneville will be the very best thing you do in your life, honestly. The people you will meet, the rides you will make all very special.

Potted history of modern Bonneville :

2001 - 1st Hinkley Bonneville twin cylinder 790 cc carburreteurs

About 2005 - Bonny changed to 865 cc still with carbs

2009 - Bonny changed to fuel injection

2016 - fundamental changed the Bonny almost completely. Was air/oil cooled, now water cooled. From now on 270° crankshaft giving a different more characterful feel to the bike.

There has always been a range of Bonny based models, for example with the 865 cc bikes there is a Bonneville, Bonneville SE, Bonneville T100, Bonneville America, Bonneville Speedmaster, Bonneville Thruxton and finally Bonneville Scrambler.

I reckon that'll be enough for now - get reading :p:p:p:p:p:p

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    the web has tons of info on all models i used to pass my break time on nightshifts on the web,millions of videos from different folk reviewing lots of bikes some great YouTube channels worth watching,let's you see lots of opinions good and bad on models plenty to help you decide but test rides will be last thing before you decide when what you choose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. docjohn

docjohn New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    essex
    Great to have so many responses and pretty much all positive and helpful, I will avoid the models and look for real one ! ( good advice Sir Trev - thanks)
    ( I am 6ft 3in tall ) I went to a dealer yesterday and sat on the latest Bonnies, T100, T120 and a Thunderbird ( I think?).. All really great bikes. I am homing in on a 865 carb equipped type ( not model !) which I also see will be aircooled if I read correctly.
    The wife says I am obsessed - I haven't even bought it yet...!

Thanks for all the advice - can't wait to get licensed and riding ..!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Another way of approaching this is to give us your budget and we can collectively give you an idea of what it would run to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. docjohn

docjohn New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    essex
    Looking through the classifieds and Ebay the sports bikes seem to be very good value, low prices for a lot of bike. But to be honest not the type of bike I am after. Something more in the line of cruiser is what I had in mind..
    Budget wise I can probably stretch to 5-6K.
    I am not going to be a daily user - more a a case of high days and holidays , weekends etc. Probably not in wet conditions as well.. I know - sissy...!
    Because of this I feel I shouldn't push the budget too much.. I think this means I can probably get a good T100 865, or maybe an America?
    I think I need to see more in the flesh and talk to some owners - probably test ride before I finally buy.
    Are there regional meets of owners - ?

15. docjohn

docjohn New Member

Dec 10, 2017
    essex
    Thanks - I will have to look out for which ones have ABS..!

• Like Like x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum

17. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Welcome in Docjohn ! Exciting times ahead sourcing a bike after so many years. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised once you start test driving. Just my opinion - Bonneville

18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, I would suggest you go to your local Triumph dealer. They will be able to give you a run down all models and which ones you should test ride.....
    Wessa

19. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Hi and welcome. I am also new to the forum. I just purchased a new 2018 Street Twin. Just love it and highly recommended. A blast to ride. I did also get bags as well as a touring wind screen. The wind screen is a must and makes thee ride effortless!!

20. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    A newer pic of my 2018 Street Twin w/ California December weather in the background!

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like Like x 6