New Bike Conflict In My Stable??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tigcraft, Jun 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    So I’m at a crossroads with my other chariot and not sure what the outcome will be with the rest of my two wheel children. For those who don’t know, I love my cast wheel bonneville and it’s my ‘budget’ tourer I may change. I’m wanting shaft drive, fitted panniers no cloth or shite things, low bike height, over 1000cc, But no four pots.
    The only bikes that fits the bill is either bmw r12r or r1150r/rockster but I’ve spotted a r12r ‘classic’ which is on pretty lace wheels and just the job.
    This is where things may go wrong by being better than my bonneville, practical, pretty(in my eyes) and better all round.
    Conflict in the stables??

2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Does it matter what make or model of bike is in your stable Eric, so long as it makes YOU happy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  4. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Eric, I had an R1150r for a while and both Wend and I enjoyed it very much. 100% reliable, comfortable over distances, Wend would fall asleep on the bike (allowing us to cover distances easily!!)

My advice? Go for the one that has not only abs but servo assistance as well. NEVER, EVER felt so confident on the brakes as with an 1150r on servo abs - just incredible !!

6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    But but but......
    I normally make sure my bikes differ from each other! This is where I feel the problem lies because non are cheap £1000 bikes and the bmw could do a better all over job than the bonneville

7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I had one before the bonneville just to do the alps, it was so pig ugly, but went so well. It’s the rockster that I’ll have this time as it needs to be better looking or r12r Classic

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  9. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Whoops sorry missed the bloody obvious link!!
    Hell fire that’s a lot of money as a second bike!

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    well make it your first bike

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    well make it your first bike

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Do they come with a ladder.....................................................................?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Sky hook?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Not happy, my brain wants to implode! Can’t believe the conflict going on in my head!
    A bike is for pleasure for me these days but it’s just causing big stresses and emotional conflict!!
    I feel this bike I’m chasing will push the bonneville out which I truly enjoy in every way. The thing is that I’m a practical person and the bmw r12r really is that, it’s also pretty for one of those as it’s the ‘classic’ model with period paintwork and glorious laced wide rims and quality fitted luggage. It also does everything bloody well, that’s the worst bit and possibly will make me just use one bike and be practical.

It all started with the Chinese budget tourer which I’ve still got but with a minor problem that I can’t solve. It’s the best value for money and works in harmony and complements the bonneville.
    But I must admit my man cave is full and having one bike in there would be very relaxing as I sometimes work from home in it.
    I JUST DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!?

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Put the Bonny and Chinky up for sale. This will show you the direction you need to take. If you get no sensible offers, keep 'em. If you get enough interest, sell 'em.

16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It just makes me think if you get a housemaid that’s as pretty as the wife................
    Why bother with the wife.......

But the wife is from the best family..................,,,, (ie this forum!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Keep the Bonnie! You'll always regret selling it whatever you end up buying.
    I love the Tiger for its practicality and capability and use it all the time and for touring as you know. I've been using it all last week whilst not at home but all I could think about is that I wish I'd had the Bonneville.
    Taking the Bonnie out today just to prove the point! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Does make sense in a way

19. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Steve, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    @andyc1 yes I see that and it’s practical
    @thebiglad i very much value what you’ve said but by the time I’ve sold both curren bikes I’ll loose the r12r Classic as they are fewand far between

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    So maybe discard the r12r Classic, go down two notches and and older shitter under £2k similar spec r1100s or a k series four pot that I WILL NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH! But is shaft drive and has good luggage!!??

21. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If you can afford to keep the Bonnie Eric keep it and buy the R1200R..sell the chinky if you don't want your garage to be crowded;)