New Bike (already).. Head Or Heart?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by welly, Nov 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Hey all,

I bought a Speed Four earlier this year, to cut a long story short I appear to have bought a money pit. The local Triumph dealer has said they'll take it as deposit on a new bike so a new bike it's going to be.

Basically, I'm looking for a bike to (occasionally) commute to work, for weekends away, a bit of touring in the spring/summer etc.

Head says a Tiger 800 variant (can't afford the 1200) but my heart is set on a Speed Twin. Really different bikes. Most of my riding (50%) is local - visiting the folks, mates, sister, pootling to the shops, a bit of posing etc. but I like the opportunity the Tiger offers - hitting a few trails, probably more comfortable/practical for longer journeys.

Halp!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Get extended test rides on both, then decide.

I would pick Tiger over Speed Twin simply because I prefer that type of bike of the retro stuff, and I think the Tiger is a bit less demanding in the keeping it clean dept!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Yeah, going to test both on Saturday but actually from being almost committed to the Speed Twin, I've been reading some reviews/looking at youtube videos and I'm swaying more towards the Tiger mainly because I think it'll probably be more versatile and suit the riding I'm more interested in doing. And I have a tendancy to go for long rides down motorways to visit mates down south - the cruise control on the Tiger is pretty appealing, as are the current free panniers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sounds like you've made your mind up.

But.... you can do anything on any bike. I done big motorway miles on a cruiser and on a big uncomfy naked bike, both will do the job, but get to a nice twisty road and which will be more fun? Get panniers/luggage to fit all bikes, so all can be adapted to work.

Ask yourself, which one will I walk away from, stop, turn around and admire every time ??? B*W GS is supposedly a great bike, but would anybody actually say it looks good? Even after 2 years of ownership, still love the way my Tuono looks and can't help admiring it every time.

That's the bike to go for, the one that gives you that 'FIZZ', not the practical one. Bikes are for fun:cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    Just when I thought I'd made up my mind... :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Go on :cool:
    You know you want to :p B0AC2166-10B0-4FF2-B7A0-FE78BA9C582A.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I know you'll find it hard to believe (deep breath) but the Rocket 3 ain't everyone's cup of motorbike! :p

PS - that doesn't necessarily mean they are gay either! ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Have to say that heart over head has always been my ultimate decider. If I get a buzz from riding it and just looking at it, I'll choose that over practicality every time!

Logically, a bit stupid.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, good luck with your final choice of bike....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Love the look of the new Rocket 3, but does anyone else think its a copy ot new Diavel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That back end definitely is :confused:
    The rest of it is much better looking I think :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I think that has always stopped me buying a Tiger (or any traillie type bike). They are fantastic bikes, and as a second / third bike, I would like one in the garage to do some big miles, but in looks they just don't give me the 'FIZZ' I am looking for.

A motorcycle for me is a toy, a plaything I can afford to go out and have as much fun on as possible. Being practical doesn't come into it. The Tuono is for carving up bends and making a glorious noise, the KTM is about going out and getting dirty, finding the biggest puddles & streams to ride through and not worry about falling off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. welly

welly Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Leeds
    #13 welly, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    The Tiger hasn't quite been hitting the spot, looks wise, although it is growing. For me, my bike is my primary mode of transport (even through the winter!) and so there has to be some practicalities in the decision. It's a tough one!

I've currently got a Thruxton R as a loan bike from the shop while they have my Speed Four and I've got to say, it is a beast. If I had space/financial capacity for a second bike, I think that would be my second bike.

I'll ride a few bikes on Saturday and see which one fits me best, as in what presses the buttons etc.!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't listen to him, he bought a B#W !!!!

:p:laughing::joy::sob:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Good luck on your ultimate decision welly and welcome aboard the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ernie_h

ernie_h New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    East TX, USA
    Recently traded in my 2016 Tiger 800 for a Speed Twin. Loved the Tiger, great motor, had the ergos set up just right. A bit tall and top-heavy for me, but once you got going it was wonderful. Not the kind of bike...at least for me...that I felt I could just throw a leg over and make a short ride to nowhere....but I had bought it thinking I was going to do a good amount of day-long riding....which never really happened. One sit on the Speed Twin and that was 'the bike'. Over 60 mph the breeze becomes a factor, so you might want to add a screen of some type....or just enjoy the ride. So, yes, ride both.....and if you still can't decide, go with your heart....or else start saving for a second bike :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I feel your pain, I have a Street Twin, but convinced myself I need a Tiger 800 for longer trips. ridden one and its okay. For me I need my bike to be sexy, Tiger type bikes just aren’t, practical, comfortable yes, sexy nah. Bit like a comfy practical fast Volvo (which I have) vs a low end F type Jag

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You should try the tiger sport 1050, it will definitely make you smile a hell of lot more that a street twin, and I'm just running. It does not look as sexy, but what a ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Its on my list, they say its the best of all worlds

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep, it has an amazing triple engine. I had the original ST Sprint 1050 and this new version of the engine is a lot better...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1