New America Rider

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by crane operator, Sep 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crane operator

crane operator Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2020
    SW missouri
    Hi all, new to truimph.

I'm a late 40's rider, just getting back into riding after a long spell away. Youngest daughter is a senior in high school that wants to ride, so I've got her a rebel 250 to learn on, and I'm the proud new owner of a 2007 america.

She's been getting the hang of it, and I needed the 250 to knock the rust off. Just brought home the america last weekend.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. crane operator

Sep 22, 2020
    SW missouri
    I think I have this picture right. america resized.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  3. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Nice ride. Welcome from Iowa.
    Hope you enjoy the madhouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Welcome from Kansas

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome Crane Op

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :) Nice bike! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome, nice bikes

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Crane Operator

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. crane operator

Sep 22, 2020
    SW missouri
    Thanks for all the welcomes. Here's two more pictures of the bikes. My daughters rebel is a 1997, america is a 2007.

Sorry, I didn't get the for sale price on the windscreen washed off yet.

resized bike #2.jpg resized bike #3.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Crane Operator
    Welcome to the family. Great intro and fantastic photos and bikes. That colour of the America will go down well here in the asylum. The inmates do favour black. You will fit right in here now even if you are still a pup in age. The Daughter will have to tell us all about the Rebel as they are quite a nice steed to handle and let us all know what makes her want to follow Dad's foot steps.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  15. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Welcome from sunny (and burning up) California.

upload_2020-9-23_18-6-50.png

16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "...and burning up". I am so sorry, BigCLM. The news from California is horrific. :( I hope you are safe at least.

17. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome from Arizona, crane operator! You've landed on a terrific forum and a great online community. Thanks for posting photos of the America and the Rebel. I learned to ride on a Rebel 250 in the MSF class as did most of my female riding buddies most of whom bought one and rode the snot out of it for several months before figuring out what they wanted next. Have a great time getting reacquainted with riding and mentoring your daughter into one of the most fun and rewarding things on the planet.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.10 PM.png

18. crane operator

Sep 22, 2020
    SW missouri
    Well- here goes for story time. :)

I rode from when I was high school age, and sold my bike shortly after we had kids. My lovely bride, was indoctrinated from a young age that bikes were dangerous and death was around every corner. Riding was a exercise in terror for her.

We got busy having kids, work, a business, and life gets away from you. My youngest daughter was the one proclaiming from a car seat "I'm going to have a motorcycle someday". At three years old.

Well, this summer she's a senior in high school, and off to college next year. Our older two children are in college, and the mrs. and I are quietly humming and getting close to staring at empty walls.

I told the youngest daughter if she still wanted to ride, she's old enough now to make her own choices. I would teach her if she wanted to learn. Wife is quietly resigned to the dangers.

We're going to go take a safety course in the middle of october. I purchased the rebel late summer, and threw a leg over a bike for the first time in 20 or so years. It felt like home. Really, like home. I was a tad nervous before I left the guys yard, but as soon as I hit the highway, I wondered why I'd waited so long to be back on a bike again.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. crane operator

Sep 22, 2020
    SW missouri
    So now that the daughter has a bike, she needs someone to ride with. Dad needs a bike, and I don't care for riding what everyone else does. I'm middle america, fleets of harleys burn through town. I'm not a group activity kind of person. And the harley thing is okay, but they're everywhere.

Looked at older gilroy indians, excelsior henderson, couldn't get my head around the looks of the victory bikes.

Local dealer is indian, and also triumph. Only two bikes on his lot that really fit me were a customized street glide with forward controls, and a new speedmaster with the forward controls. But I'm not dropping $10,000 on a bike. I could afford to, I'm just not going to:).

Did a little searching and came up with the mid 2000 speedmasters and americas. Liked the looks, found a america local for sale, and here I am. Of course the bike needs a little work, I didn't buy new with warranty:rolleyes:.

I don't mind some tinkering, and the 2007 is the last of carbs, and I'm kinda simple like that, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

I started the daughter on the back street. Clutch in, clutch out, start stop, start stop, until she was sick of it. More nights of short runs, start and stop.

We've graduated to a large church parking lot, and she's almost ready for the road. I wanted her to be ready for the training course, and she's good to go now.

Here's her on the day we picked up the rebel, and our "training grounds".

resize hannah riding 3.jpg resize hannah riding 1.jpg resize hannah riding 2.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    morning from a wet windy and wild County Durham....its going from summer to winter in a week I fear over here.......at least you have the weather and the nice open roads over there...sure and steady on those bikes - get to know their personalities.....like the yellow...but then i'm biased 8)

• Like Like x 1