Featured Tiger 1050 New 2016 Tiger Sport

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by tcbandituk, May 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Blimey quiet in this part of the forum !

I thought I'd put down my thoughts so far on my TS I picked up on Friday.

Picked mine up Friday from Bulldog Triumph.
    Swapped crash bars, alarm, centre stand, Scorpion exhaust from old one to new one.
    Left the Triumph luggage on the old and they fitted a Givi kit.
    Went the silver as I don't like the yellow highlights on the matt black, will need to do something about the shellsuit 1050 graphics over the winter.
    Engine, fuelling and gearbox are a vast improvement over the old one.
    Suspension was a bit too stiff over bumps, causing the FBW throttle to move a little bit.
    Screen is good, bit of buffeting in the helmet area on highest setting, but using it on the next setting down moves it down a bit to the top of the chest which is no problem. Even on it's worst setting it was better than the old one.

Did 80 miles on Saturday.
    Saturday evening put a 25mm lowering kit on it from the old one, dropped the front @15mm but think I might need to drop it a couple more mm.
    Softened the suspension all round
    Fitted some Speed Triple mirrors with mirror extensions as the new std ones buzz too much at motorway speeds - could only make out blobs behind you with the new ones.
    removed all "Danger Will Robinson" stickers.
    Fitted Givi tank ring.
    Did 140 miles on Sunday, the lowering is fine, just possibly need to drop it a couple mm and increase the rear preload back slightly to stop a slight squat when accelerating hard.
    Mirrors are much better, just a shame the extensions make them look a bit functional rather than aesthetically pleasing.
    The ride is a bit more forgiving now without affecting the handling, I might soften the front a bit more still though.
    Did 140 miles from full and the gauge had dropped to just below half a tank, it averaged 52mpg on a real mix of motorway/town/rural roads.
    Cruise control can be a bit fiddly until you get used to but it makes life so much easier on the long motorway stretches.
    Seat is ok up until about 80 miles but part of that is because I don't do enough miles to get "saddle hardened" these days (something I'll be rectifying with this Tiger [​IMG])
    Just got to add the f&r mudguard extenders and oil\water radiator protectors and she's done.
    Oh, nearly forgot, I'm going to get them to put some barrel grips from the T120 onto it at the first service as I think they'll make the grips that much more comfortable. Although, with the cruise control, it's not too much of an issue.
    It was real handy knowing what I need to tweak on the chassis and swap bits over onto the new one.

Should be ideal for the ride up to Liverpool at the end of the month :)
    Can't wait to get out in it again

• Like Like x 7
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nice TC, where's the pics? Someone's bound to ask!

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Too busy riding it to take pics :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good write up - screen sounds similar to the Tiger XRx, kept on lowest setting it's fine but any higher and it causes buffeting around the helmet (sits back and waits - fed you that one!).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've found that all these semi-adventure style bikes (GS/KTM/Tiger 800) do the same - loads of buffeting around yer helmet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    #6 Rooster, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Re buffeting. Try putting 15mm spacers between the screen and its 4 mounting points. I don't know why this works but it made a world of difference on my Explorer. It will cost you £5 to try, 4 spacers and 4 longer bolts of eBay.

You could just try 2 on the top mounting points first as this may straighten the angle of the screen. Some guys on an Explorer forum I visit report this helps.

This help your backside have a look at an Alaskan Leather Buttpad. https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads

They do one for your bike. I love mine. Note you need to add 20% to the price you see for import duty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Got back from the Isle of Man on Wednesday after putting another 850 miles on the bike.
    With the cruise control, knocking out a long distance is a doddle, the only thing that needs sorting is the seat/backside interface.

The tank range is great, I put 146 miles on it from Heysham in one hit and the fuel indicator still had a couple of blocks before the low fuel light would have appeared.
    I just stuck it at 78mph which is about 76mph on the GPS so I didn't have to worry about cameras etc, knocked it down to 55mph on the roadworks where the average speed camera's were and the 252 miles took just over 4h30m including a leisurely lunch stop.

Dropped it while I was there, the place we were staying at you have to do a sharp right turn on loose gravel uphill, I was doing this and the TS cut out just as I was turning, with the loose gravel and the right leg being on the down side, down she went.. Damage was minimal, A small scrape on the crash bars, the handlebar protectors and the Givi pannier rail was all.

As I said above, I think the front needs to be dropped a little bit more, it wasn't handling quite as well as it should, but it didn't spoil the trip, it coped with the bends on the unlimited sections and the Mountain section no problem and was fine when loaded up with the panniers and top box.. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    I was supposed to road test a TS last week but it all went tits up as usual,so yet to give one a go.
    Shame about the drop.

9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Actually, in a perverse way I was quite happy, it proved that the engine bars were a good buy and that the quick release Givi pannier rails are fairly strong.....
    All I need to repair it is a black marker pen for the small marks on the crash bars and hand protectors :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. sm75k

sm75k New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    plymouth
    Good review, i pick mine up on friday!

11. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Enjoy picking up your TS tomorrow. Let us all know how you get on (+pics please). I've recently had a TS as a loan bike whilst my Tiger 800 XRx was in for a service and I really liked it - although the mirrors were dreadful due to the vibration.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Hi sm75k. It's the big day today then. There's nothing like collecting a shiny new bike. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sm75k

sm75k New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    plymouth
    Cheers guys, yeah got it today, just got back from a couple of hours riding. Love the power, can't believe it feels so much quicker than my ST! I need to tweak the suspension a bit to stiffen it up and i'm going back to triumph tomorrow because they specifically told me it had TPMS, which it doesn't so gonna try and get it fitted either free or very cheap. Mirrors do go fuzzy at certain revs/speed, can't say it bothered me that much. cruise control is fantastic! Seat is very comfy and the overall ride is effortless. Fuel usage seems really good even though i was giving it plenty of throttle. My tool kit only has 1 allen key in it, does anyone know if that is correct or are there some missing? see attached pic, not great but was having too much fun riding to stop ;)

bike wembury.JPG

14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I had to soften the front up rather than stiffen it on mine.
    Done a few bits on mine before we go to France in a few weeks time (the other half's going on her Bonnie)
    Fitted the Navihalter GPS Mount, fitted Grip Puppies, dropped the front another 5mm, fitted the radiator/oil cooler guards.
    Just got to fit the fenda extendas front and rear and she's done and ready to go.
    Probably go for a blat down to the coast tomorrow to try the various bits out :)

15. sm75k

sm75k New Member

Sep 29, 2015
    plymouth
    does dropping the front improve the handling or is it just personal preference? I also need to get a radiator/oil cooler guard and i may consider putting the mudguard extenders on.

16. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I had a couple of hours on a TS on Monday and I agree with all of the above.
    I think my search for a new bike has finished,might wait until March though.

17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I've dropped the rear by 25mm, so just trying different heights on the front to see what works best.
    I had dropped the front 15mm but it wasn't handling quite as well as I know it can, so I've dropped it another 5mm to see if that makes a difference.

18. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Anybody else recently purchased the new Tiger Sport? I'm still interested and 1st March isn't far away for the new plate - so would be great to get some feedback from any new owners.

19. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Just to update about mine.

Dropping the front forks 20mm seemed to do the trick and it handles fine now.

Riding it down to the Dordogne last year fully loaded was a doddle, exactly what the cruise control is designed for.
    The Givi kit, and the bike, coped fine with something like 10-12 kilo's in each pannier and a loaded top box :)

I might sort the seat out at some point as it's the only bit that stops me doing 200 miles between stops.
    Having said that, it's not bad, just not as comfy as it could be.

20. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Thx tcbandituk. Sounds like you are enjoying it. Which Givi panniers did you go with? I thought Triumph also did a comfort seat as an option. Would you try that instead of the standard seat?