Trophy New 2001trophy 900 Woes

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by EasyTargetRN, Jun 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Washed the bike as it had lived in the prior owners barn. Hard starting after sitting for 3 hours and only on two cylinders after putting in fresh fuel. Should have let it run to dry off but I shut it off. Now I depleted the battery trying to restart.
    How do I remove the seat to access the battery to charge it?
    I’ll be much happier once my Haynes manual arrives...

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    To get the seat off there is a keyhole down by the left rear passenger foot peg. You may find that pressing down on the seat at the very back whilst turning the key may help to unlock it.
    If the bike has been stood for a while, put a liberal dose of fuel system cleaner in the tank as the carbs may have become clogged up with remnants of stale fuel. This is not uncommon.
    A word of warning though. Always make sure the battery is fully charged and in general good health. If not, the engine may 'kick back' when trying in vain to fire up and will destroy the starter sprag clutch.:oops: Expensive and time consuming!!:(
    Kick back, in the good old days of kickstarters, could break ankles or at best cause serious bruising.:eek: Believe me, it smarts!!:scream:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks much, I didn’t go as far as to cause damage thankfully.
    Hoping the charge does the trick. Noticed a small left carb leak as well but only when running. If the task is to daunting, there’s a Triumph mechanic nearby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    EasyTargetRN
    I am sure you will have it running soon enough. Your carbs just get a stubby screwdriver and just try and torque them up a little. But those little seeps do sometimes just seal up when the bike is running well. Do check your plugs or replace them. Even if you have to pour a cap of fuel down each plug hole just to give it a boost on starting. Do keep in the know as to your progress.
    Regards And Welcome to the Family.
    Joe.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    After a thorough charge the old girl started right up. No miss but seemed to run a bit rough after warming up, perhaps she just needs to be ridden. I did notice a red exclamation point warning light on the dash that may be attributed to a cross threaded crankcase dipstick but I’m not sure how to diagnose.
    Regardless it’s good to hear that triple running as intended. Thanks all for your wisdom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The red exclamation mark is to tell you that the side stand is still in the 'down' position. If you start the engine and then put the bike in gear with the stand down and the warning light showing, it should kill the engine. Saves you riding off and binning the bike on the first left hand corner!:eek::scream:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank goodness it’s that simple!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I can manage 'simple'!:)

'Complicated' scares the hell out of me!:worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    t900.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  11. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ooh! It's got carbs!:cool: Goody, goody!!!:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Nice ! But not the original front indicator ! I believe there is similar to original available by searching through scooter supplier's , A mate in Kellerberrin has one of those early 900 trophy triumphs , he told me modernish scooter has those indicators , you can't get genuine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sadly yes, they are not OEM. I did Find them on bike bandit for $67, not sure if 1 or 2.

14. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Update, three tanks of fuel later I've experienced stalling after coming to a stop after an extended ride, more often in the afternoons when its hot, but rarely in the cooler mornings. Yesterday she was very difficult to start after filling the tank and then stalled when I arrived home. I had to twist the throttle just to get her to start and this am she refused to cooperate.
    Its been suggested that the floats may be sticking and flooding. Anything I should try before pulling the carbs and cleaning them?
    Thanks!

15. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Put a goodly quantity of your favourite fuel system cleaner in the tank and take it for a ride. Could just be some dirt in the carbs that is blocking the pilot jet. Cleaner will eventually (may not be an immediate cure, although it was when mine started playing silly buggers!) get rid of it, which is a whole lot quicker and easier than taking the carbs off - trust me, you don't want to do that too often!! This is, of course, assuming that dirt is the problem. If the bike has been stood for a while it can and does happen. Crappy petrol (or gas if you prefer!) is the main cause.

16. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Some
    Some have mentioned it may be the crank sensor too. Looking for a place to start, the fuel system cleaner (as long as she’ll start) is a good plan.

17. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    As I understand it 'cos it's not happened to me - yet - when the engine gets hot the cps stops working, as does the engine. Not good. When the engine has cooled down somewhat - never got to know how long or how cool - it will restart and run as normal until the next time. And there WILL BE a next time unless you are nearly at your destination. Just try the simplest/cheapest solution offered until everything is working as it should. Don't try more than one solution at once though as you'll not know which one worked!! Don't ask me how i know that! It was a long time ago and I was very young m'lud!

18. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Found OEM indicators through Triumph of Albuquerque. My after work project if I can resolve the stalling/starting woes...

19. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    So where to start?

20. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Started with some effort after getting home from work and has been idling stable for 20 minutes. I did notice this on inspection of the carbs, lots of grime on the lower aspect of the center carb and a drip of fuel at the bottom of the “bowl” of the left carb.

63DAF69A-0F76-4FAC-87F6-A39AF6AA0430.jpeg