Negative Fuel Mileage Change (05 Bonnie Black)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Wailuku43, Jul 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wailuku43

Wailuku43 New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Boise
    #1 Wailuku43, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Hi there, I'm new to the forum and I recently purchased a new to me 2005 Bonneville Black. The bike has 5,500 miles on it and I mostly ride it around town for commuting in Boise, ID. When I received the bike in early June, there was some gas in it and I topped the sucker off. It made it to about 120 miles until it had to be switched to reserve. On the next tank of gas, the bike began sputtering at 99-100 miles before switching to reserve. On my most recent tank of gas (fill up #3) it sputtered at 109 miles before I switched to reserve. Between the 1st and 2nd tank of gas I changed the spark plugs, oil & filter, and adjusted/cleaned/lubed the chain. I found it to be interesting that the mileage seemed to go down significantly. Since I'm new to riding the bike, thought I would ask if this sounds like a normal fuel mileage range? Should I be worried about the drop from 120 mi to 100 and 109 mi before reserve?

Oil Used: Mobil full synthetic 10w40
    Oil Filter: K&N 204

Other than switching the oil filter and plugs, the bike is completely stock.

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I had a 2004 Bonneville T100, so very similar to yours (790cc with carburettors). Mine had done around 24000 miles and the average mileage before I had to switch to the reserve was about 135 miles. Sometimes this dropped to about 124 depending on riding style but 99 to 100 seems low to me. As your mileage seems to be decreasing, I wonder if you have a blockage of some sort? Check that the vent in the filler cap is clear and it may pay to remove the tank and check out the petcock and any filters, including those in the fuel feed to the carbs.

3. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    100 - 120 per tank seems about normal :confused:
    Depends a lot on your style of riding, there again hardly likely to be ringing a Bonneville's neck

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Riding in town and traffic will create some variability day to day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Agreed, I have an 865 EFI, mileage varies between 90-120 before steady reserve light. Always far better on open road, regardless of wind. She's a thirsty b*tch during the commute.

6. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wailuku43

Wailuku43 New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Boise
  8. Mischa Vladivostok

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have the same filter. They had a batch with this failure. They sent me a mail regarding this, with the range of serial numbers that had this issue, offering a free replacement. Thankfully mine didn't. I'm on my second K&N, and am quite happy about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Mischa Vladivostok

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Here's the message, and a photo of my S/N, which was specifically confirmed by their customer support not to be affected.

"
    Hello,

We've received information that your K&N KN-204 Oil Filter, bought in your Amazon.co.uk order #xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx, may represent a potential risk of accident.

The affected products have manufacturing date codes imprinted on the ends of the filters that contain as the second and third characters of the code the number/letter combinations of 3H, 4H, 5H, 6H, 7H, 8H or 9H.

If you have any KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured within the specified date range in your possession or inventory, then please contact K&N immediately at:

+44 (0)1925 636950 / [email protected]

You will be advised how to return those oil filters for replacements at no charge.

If you bought this item for someone else, share with them this email so that they are aware of the potential safety issue.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you but trust you’ll understand that the safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    "

9B0DB267-FE57-417B-93B9-4035FB3A66FB-1788-000002407840CE37.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1