Trophy Need Help.

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by KIERAN ROB, Nov 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    Hello all, I have a problem with my 1992 triumph trophy 900, she was running fine, but occasionally when I tried to start her on the button she wouldn't start, I then moved the bike around and she started, now she won't start at all, I've put a new starter motor in and a new starter relay, but still all she does is click from the starter relay when I press the button, does anyone on here know if there could be somthing else causing this problem other then the motor and relay? Also I have a new battery that works fine, Many thanks.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Battery age/condition, connections and earth strap? Starter button contacts and ditto key switch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    Battery is working fine, I've had it in another triumph trophy today to test it, and where is the earth strap located? Is it the cable from the battery? If so how do I test that to see if it's all okay, The starter contacts are fine.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Varies from bike to bike but it’s the other end of the negative battery post cable usually on an engine/gearbox stud. They can corrode to the point where electrical resistance builds up. Slacken, shimmy and re-tighten.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Side stand switch? Clutch switch?
    Take the connectors off and bypass the switch try the clutch first :)
    Assuming it has one :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  6. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    Thankyou very much ill have a look in the morning your help is mush appreciated, I'll update you if it works or not I'm not the best with electics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    Already done that awhile ago as that caused the bike not to start

8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Oh!
    Have you had the starter button apart and cleaned the contacts?
    Although it may not be your problem
    Will she turn over by taking a jump lead from the positive of the battery to the starter?

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Have you tried a jump start off a (non running) car battery? It’s just conceivable your battery might be marginal and work on one bike but not another. If it starts from a car battery try getting the bike battery load tested at your local independent garage. It may be losing capacity (amps not volts - your charger won’t tell you.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    No she won't start when I used jump leads from battery to the motor, so I got a new motor and tried the same thing again and nothing didn't turn over.

11. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    Yes I tried my car to jump her off and I got nothing either, the motor just won't spin at all even tho its brand new.

12. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    You may have a bad earth put an earth to body of the motor as well if it doesn't turn her over it's faulty new or not
    Take it off and bench test it

13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    OK then try Rocker’s suggestion. If you can spin up by jumping direct to the motor we know the problem is in the middle not the motor.

14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Try putting it in gear third or fourth and rock forward and backwards it may be stuck

15. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    I'll bench test it in the morning, see what happens as when I connect the positive to the motor I get nothing so I'll take it out and try positive from battery to motor and negative from battery to one of the bolts on the motor, is that the correct way?

16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Yep try doing that while it's still fitted to the bike 2 good quality jump leads one to earth one to live

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yup. The casing should all be -ve with an insulated +ve post.

18. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
  19. KIERAN ROB

KIERAN ROB New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    UK
    I'll give it a try thanks alot.

20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016