Need advise

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by bricairns, Apr 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
    Hi all
    I'm in need of advise, I am looking at a 1700 Storm on a 12 plate for sale but it only comes with a rider seat.
    I need to get it ready for touring France with my wife but have little money left to spend after I buy the bike, I need a long haul pillion seat and sissy bar and rack (with padded back pad).
    I found this on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400666706041?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    but I'm a little worried the rack only takes 5Kg.
    Also! as I haven't bought the bike yet and this will be my first T Bird, I'm not 100% sure what I'm buying will fit.
    I am looking at spending £500ish, if it's anymore than that then I may as well go for a 1600 10 plate I'm also looking at with all the above attached.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Answers in blue.

Dave

3. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I go to a few rallies each year and was concerned the rack wouldn't support our gear "tent, sleeping bag and anything else the wife think she needs"

as for spending around £500 that'll be on the pillion seat, sissy bar and luggage rack, I've seen a couple of pillion seats on ebay but not sure if I would need additional fixing brackets as I couldn't see on the ones for sale.
    Also! if it's going to cost me more than £500 I may as well buy and older 1600 model with everything already on as it's only £500 dearer then the Storm

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "My work here is done"

5. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    I have a 5kg rack and had it loaded up with tent ,sleeping bags and loads of other bit and pieces of camping equipment , not problem

6. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm going for the 1600, not because the storm needs those extra items but because something is a bit off with it.
    Tried calling the mobile number and got a long engaged tone, then received a text from the number saying he's on holiday and can't receive calls but can text (OK! I know it can cost a bit of money to receive calls abroad) I asked him where he lives as I am over 200 miles away from my postcode but doesn't show his address, he hasn't texted me back.
    I was going to do a HPI check but thought I'd go on the DVLA website and check the reg out, it came back as a Rocket III
    Maybe DVLA has got it wrong but I could see no end of problems with insurance companies and maybe the police, and the asking price was surprisingly low at £5800

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Good move. Too many scams around

8. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Was he a solicitor selling the bike on behalf of the estate of the now deceased interior minister of Nigeria by any chance?

9. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    By the way. If you can afford it get a Storm. You'll be glad you did.

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #10 thebiglad, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    That's the most telling bit. My opinion? It's a scam.

11. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Yep! :)