My Tsx

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Feb 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    FILE0041.jpg FILE0050.jpg Well peeps the news is bad. I decided to put my TSX Into cosmo as the engine was rattling. I got news i didn't want. Its needs a full engine flush and a clean out. Full damage not diagnosed yet but the starter sprag had designated and is floating around in the engine. Cosmo has said it is not going to be a cheap job. Now i got to decide have it rebuilt or scrap.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks Dozers Dad. Pretty low about it as the bike only has 4000 miles on the clock. Might do the lottery this week.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    The Bonnie engine is no problem and i have built a few in my time. As well as the a65 engines and a few Commando's but not got the patience or the eyesight these days. Tracy has said if i decide to keep it she will help out.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Wow Joe, hopefully damage is confined to just the sprag as any small parts that might have got into the cases would have to get through the sump filter pump and back to the frame before even thinking about going back to the pump or engine.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Sorry to hear of this joe hopefully the damage will be limited, if the price is reasonable she will be worth keeping its just the time as well as money

• Like Like x 5
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's a bugger - sorry to hear that.
    Hope you can keep her. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Ouch, sorry to hear this Joe. The thought of ever having to condem a bike is tragic, so I hope you manage to find a reasonable solution that doesn't cost you hugely.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Hi Joe really sorry to read this this morning, Im sure a solution will pop up soon even if it becomes a long term project
    The TSX was a beautiful looking bike and worth keeping on the road if at all possible
    All the best
    Nick

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Bad news Joe, don't know what to say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Oh crap Joe :(, not good news for you mate :worried:, I know how much you love the bike so I hope you can get it sorted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Joe - really sorry to hear about this and I guess it puts you on the horns of a not altogether uncommon dilemma ... scrap it or invest (heavily) in it.

Rebuild costs will, of course, be very expensive and, quite feasibly, as much as or more than the bike is 'worth' - largely because of labour costs. So, to be economically viable it needs either free or very cheap labour for the rebuild.

But, there aren't many TSX's around (there were only a few hundred built) and I'm sure it will sell as a "project" - heck I'd certainly and willingly take it off your hands - and be resurrected by someone willing and able to put the time and effort into a complete nut and bolt strip and rebuild of the bike.

It's a significant piece of Triumph history - if you can keep it, you should. But I suspect you know that already and hence the dilemma.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes DarkMan
    He ran the bike and changed the oil twice it was still pumping out swarf so it is well in there as he said you could clean out but it will fail eventually if not completely cleaned out with a complete strip.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps
    To answer all the questions. Yes i do want to put it back on the road. But like said here a sprag to go at such low miles and would it do it again. Yes the money involved and the time just grieves me a bit. Of course the bike was not for sale and was mine but i really feel down a bit now and am torn with my next course of action. But thanks for the support every one it has picked me up a little.
    Kind Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1