My Speedy so far.......

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Big Dave, Feb 16, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    Hi all,

I just thought I would update you with how I'm getting on with my Speedy, my first bike that my wife bought me before I'd even passed my test!!!

So far it's been almost perfect, I'm having a little trouble adjusting from the bike I learned on especially with slow speed cornering bit I'm hoping that in time this should become easier!

Another issue is that my arse is going extremely numb extremely quickly! I think I need a single seat that will hopefully alleviate the issue!

Cleaning is an issue, mainly because I'm not 100% sure what to clean and with what? I'm a bit nervous about spraying a hose at her and what products to use! If anyone in north yorks is ever passing Catterick and wants a brew let me know and you can give me a lesson :)

The other related problem is oiling the chain, I need to get hold of a paddock stand or jack to make it easier, I'm pretty certain I'm using the wrong chain oil as well. Any advice appreciated :)

Although the weather is horrendous I'm getting out when the weather breaks and loving every minute, I'm getting more confident mile by mile and look forward to seeing some of you out on the open road :upyeah:

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    I forgot to add, I have one more problem....

Where the hell do I park?!?!?!? Can I park in a car space? Sounds like a stupid question probably but I'm genuinely struggling to find bike parking!!! The slow speed manoeuvring doesn't help like so I usually stick it in a car space! As ever thanks for the help ;-)

3. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Hi Big Dave ,

I put a center stand on mine so can put the chain lube on ok,as for the cleaning autosolve for the chrome and a good quality polish Autoglym or Mer is good,hope this helps

4. Takson

Takson Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi Big Dave,

For the chain oil you have a number of choices, from a chain wax (Low fling but to use it properly you need to make sure the chain is clean before application), through many different chain lubes with low fling (don't make the back wheel as dirty. Many claim no fling, however you typically see some) ending up with some people who use WD40 or even engine oil. more fling, but easy to clean off and keeps the chain looking shiny. The important thing for chain life is that you don't let it dry out.

I have always used a good quality chain lube like Silkoline, and put up with cleaning the wheel.

The other option is a Scottoiler type device, that uses an oil and does it automatically as you ride. However, a few people on other forums say they don't like being parked up and unused for any length of time though.