Featured My Speed Rs Is Also Here :-)

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Snusmumrik, Oct 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    #1 Snusmumrik, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Picked up 2 days ago.
    Covered 200-odd kilometres so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely bike, does not make me wanna speed!
    OK, it is now in a running-in mode (not above 6000rpm) but still, does not make me wanna speed.

That is why I chose it over S1000R and Tuono, and 1090RR and Monster 1200R (I tried them all), did not try 1290R and not interested in Japanese big naked bikes.

I rode Speed RS already 2 years ago and already then I felt it was a bike for me.
    It is big and somehow burly, macho even, the weight is a positive, makes it stable.

I have 2014 Daytona 675 so I kind of know the Street RS, in fact I rode 2017 765RS version and the latest 765RS as well, but I rather have Daytona over Street RS and Speed RS over Street RS.

Anyway, question: do your Speed RS tick?

I noticed that it ticks when I ride and also when I stand still. It is not very loud, but noticeable.

My GSXR1000 ticks, but that is Suzuki, they always sound a bit broken, like a bucket of bolts, that is how they are, I love them for that special sound, but reading Speed Triple forum here I learned that Speed's gearbox and clutch are made out of cheese and I should expect at least gearbox replacement at one point. :relieved:

That is why I am listening to every noise now, and suddenly I realized it ticks.
    I did use quickshifter/blipper, I even blipped once from 2nd to 1st, by mistake, but it was a crisp shift. :)

• Like Like x 10
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    yes, they tick lower down but it disappears higher up the range. Worse when cold which is normal!
    Qs errors seem to be from 4-5th but mines been fine (only fitted at 4k miles and now on 6k) and very random if you have the prob or not.
    As yours is new, your probs (if any) will be covered so enjoy!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Snusmumrik
    Welcome to the family. Lovely steeds.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    Welcome! Enjoy your lovely new bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congrats on bringing your new Speed Triple RS home! Thanks for the photos.

I have a 2019 Speed RS and haven't had any issues with the gearbox nor the quick shifter after I had the stock one replaced early on thanks to the warnings of other members on this forum. :kissing:

I've not noticed the ticking with my bike but will listen more carefully. If it does it's certainly not very noticeable. Or my ears are going downhill. :eek: Anyway, I love my Speed Triple and hope do yours too, @Snusmumrik!

• Like Like x 3
  6. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #6 MrTriple, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    A really lovely bike - and now mine's gone, looking at photos like yours is the only way I can get my Speed Triple fix :yum

Just Google 'Cam Chain Tensioner' and you'll find the internet is bursting with posts about ticking noises. Mine (a 2018 model) did it too - sometimes louder and sometimes hardly perceptible, which I guess supports the idea that the self-adjusting chain tensioner is doing its thing.

I'd hear it when riding at town speeds past parked cars, or a wall or fence, where the sound would bounce back at me. Last November, it suddenly got louder and I thought that there was something wrong - but it turned out to be due to the sound dynamics of my fancy new Schuberth carbon helmet (I tried switching back to my old Arai and the ticking faded).

I had it checked at the last service and the dealer said it was 'normal cam-tensioner' ticking...so it must be OK ;)

...unless we're talking about a different kind of ticking :bomb::eek::p

• Like Like x 3
  7. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Thank you, MrTriple. :)
    Well, you have a different toy now, so no need to pine over a Speed RS.
    At least you will not anymore have the problems some of the owners were/are having! :confused:

Interesting suggestion. Could be CCT, of course.
    I have loads of experience with CCT rattling from my 2002 CBR600F4i. On that bike it is a very common problem, I would even say a feature from Honda! I changed my CCT several times with manual and reworked self-adjusting ones, but the rattling (at 2500-3000) always comes back and it is loud. I gave up on that in the end, the bike runs anyway.

On Speed RS the ticking starts well into the ride, after about 30km it becomes perceptable. I find this odd.

Another question, do you know if the stock oil drain plug is magnetic? I am curious what will be found on the first oil change, if there will be any metal shavings. I am taking the bike to the dealer I bought it from, they do the oil change, so I have to rely on them telling me the truth, but if plug is not magnetic maybe they do not even check. :neutral:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've just read your post on your new thread and it doesn't seem like we're comparing CCT noise - I wouldn't describe what I was hearing as a problem...the sound appeared to come from behind the radiator and felt like a characteristic of the engine. I listened to a brand new RS at the dealer...and it made the same noise.

I don't think the drain plug is magnetic (I never needed to remove mine) - I'm sure others have said that it's just a plain bolt.

In terms of problems...well this is my third brand new Scrambler 1200. I rejected the previous two, due to 'excessive and unacceptable engine noise'. Believe me...I'm well versed on what's a normal noise and what is not :)

It sounds like you're experienced and know what you're doing - so follow your instincts and be sure you're satisfied with what the dealer tells you (I know you already know this ;)).

• Like Like x 1