Featured My Run Roon Scotland

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by MrOrange, Apr 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Went for a first proper run on the America over the Easter weekend, The missus had been out for 4 or 5 wee local runs but never more than 80 mile in a day.

Day 1
    Full tourer mode, sat nav fitted. Knew all the roads but is useful for knowing how far, how long , etc. Lomo 60l dry bag was brilliant, carried all our clothes and kept it bone dry.
    [​IMG]
    Stopped off 1/2 way up for a 'Brisk' walk on the beach at West Kilbride, was bloody freezing and blowing a hooley, so kept my helmet and gloves on walking the dog on the beach !!!!
    [​IMG]
    Then the best bit of any bike ride - a trip on the ferry. The picture was taken just as I came into Dunoon, the rest of the ride over was spent hanging onto the bike as the ferry pitched and rolled in quite a swell. Front brake held on, knee into side of bike and try not to fall over myself. The deck on the ferry is wet from the waves crashing over !!!!
    [​IMG]
    You wouldn't believe it from this picture taken 15 minutes later at the war memorial at Sandbank !!!
    [​IMG]

Day 2
    First 'proper' day of our mini tour. There is a severe weather warning issued for the West coast of Scotland, later find out the missus was nearly in tears (they actually come later) at the thought of 170 miles in the rain, but we set off any way. Managed to get 10 miles before i had to give up and stop to demist my visor, even pinlock couldn't cope with the weather conditions. But we decided to carry onto the Green Welly at Tyndrum and then decide to carry on or give up. Anybody who has been to the Green Welly will be amazed at the next picture - 1 BIKE AT THE WELLY !!!, in all my years and crappy scottish weather, there has always been at least 5 other eejits out on their bikes and parked up at the welly. Doesn't look like it was raining, but it was.
    [​IMG]
    The ride over Glencoe was a cold and miserable affair. Stopped off in Fort William for onion rings and chicken strips at Morrisons. Place was packed with Indians !!! (More of later). Raining was still hammering down.

The next bit of the route from Fort William to Kyle of Lochalsh is absolutely biking heaven, but unfortunately the only heaven part was the biblical rain all the way. Fortunately all my gear was water tight, but the hands were frozen. Made a mistake and put my hands on the cylinder heads to warm up, which then makes the goretex work the other way and lets water in !!! Must remember not to do again ! (I did) But eventually we made it to Eilean Donan Castle.

[​IMG]

It is obligatory to take a picture of your bike with the castle, so we did! Believe it's written in ancient scots law about all who pass must stop and take picture with thy steed !!!!! ;)

The missus then wanted to go onto Skye, told her pals we were going to Skye on holiday - so we went to Skye !
    [​IMG]

But luckily on Skye I mentioned a good curry house (just over bridge turn right and it's on your left, not cheap but very good) and was told we should book in. I poo-poo'ed the idea of needing to book as it is always empty, but anyway I did as I was told. Bloody good job we did! Arrived back later that night for our curry and the indian restraunt was full of INDIANS !!! Couldn't believe it. Never been to an indian restraunt with Indians eating there!!!
    [​IMG]
    Craigmonie B&B, Badicaul. Recommmended, very friendly great breakfast, dried all our wet biking gear and even cleared a space in his garage cos my bike was too nice to leave out in the wind & by now gale force winds.

Day 3
    Big mile day, was to be 230 miles, but trimmed down due to the cold. Was absolutely freezing. FIngers numb after 25 miles and having to stop to jump around and regain feeling in fingers, at least the rain had sunsided, a bit. First stop of the day was a wee village called Plockton, anybody remember a 90's TV show called Hamish Macbeth? It was filmed here and we had our honeymoon here 20 years ago, so we had to stop in. Lovely little village and great sealboat trip if you are ever up there.
    [​IMG]

It was then a very long ride in the cold up to Ullapool, 80 miles in one hit with lots of dancing to the birdy song !!! to keep hands and arms warm ! :D It works, try it ;)
    [​IMG]
    Lunch of spiced bread pudding and double cream was had, lovely. All I needed because breakfast at the B&B was huge and delicious.

Then ride down and across back to Fort William, weather had improved and other than ocaasional hailstorm, could almost be pleasent. Again obligatory stop and photo's of bike and commando memorial;) at Spean Bridge. Lovely place, but very cold and you can see the snow on Ben Nevis in the background, but the sun was out !!!:D:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

Day 4
    Day started drizzly. But steadily improved until we had a big 'moment'. Just north of Oban, round a bend with what looked like shell grip, but evidently wasn't. Front end slide on a slow tight'ish left hand bend, road empty so saved it and ran onto other side of the road. Biggest front end slide I ever had, rode for a few miles then pulled over, could feel the missus had froze up and no longer relaxed. Stop, helmets off, tears, helmets on and carry on to Oban, buy her coffee.

SHe was a bit nervous for an hour, but cured her by doing Oban to Lochgilphead road. If you have ever been on the biking nirvana, you will know how many corners ther are, soon cured her of her corner fear, sun came out and all was good in the world again.
    [​IMG]
    The first bit of warm weather and sunshine all weekend, stopped to enjoy it.:D

Rode down to a tiny village of Tayvallich for lunch, great wee palce and an awesome view whilst eating soup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last stint was a run around to Inveraray and back to Dunoon to pick up the weans.

Day 5
    Just a reverse of day 1, but get a nicer trip over on the ferry, no crashing waves this time.
    [​IMG]
    and uneventful run home

Time to wash the bike :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Soon washed 760 miles worth of crap off the bike and all shiny again. ACf50 is good stuff.

Hope you enjoyed reading my little write up, wet monday morning of the second week on holiday, so bit bored, but at least I am not at work:confused:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Yes a great write up and good photos too. Shame about the weather but that'll be Scotland for you. We're up there for a week this June so we'll see what we get :rolleyes:

Top marks to your missus too.... my wife wouldn't have done that in a CAR.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Thanks guys, didn't know if would be appreciated, but I always enjoyed folks trip write-ups on other forums.:)

Believe it or not, she says she had a great time !!! Never laughed so much in her life.
    She was woopin and holer'in as we rode down the bumpy road to Tayvallich, and can't wait to get away again. Already planning a trip to Ireland and some road racing :D

I guess idiocy is infectious !!! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    My fav part of bike forums is the trip report section, I love reading what peeps have been up to so I'll always appreciate if someone has made an effort to tell us about it.

Still think your wife needs help if she was woopin an a hollerin in weather like that though lol :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Brilliant write up indeed Mr Orange and a brave man you are (and the missus bless) excellent run through of your
    trip and I loved the pictures, THATS THE WAY TO DO IT INDEED !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    great write up Ron and good to put a face to the name..you don't look anything like Tim Roth! i thought the bike would be filthy after the rain but didn't look too bad..you must have gave it a sneaky clean during your trip :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Half ton says - " yer missus deserves a medal "

I would most definately second that !!! But with that medal she needs a lovely Treat of some kind, brave and trusting lady indeed

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Great stuff MrO Loved the write up and pics. After all that poor weather I was going to say that things can only get better but then remembered where you were, so Hard Luck!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The B&B first night in Badicaul, took pity on us, took all our gear and dried it, he then spent 1/2 hour clearing space in his garage for the bike, leant me a jacket and gave me a hand to push bike in out of the rain, then a couple of old towels to wipe the bike down and dry it off, so yes had a sneaky clean then and also when I got back to my parents at the end of day four I washed the bike again.

I am so sad, when i got back on the last day, unpacked bike, kettle on, bike washed, drank tea and dried her off, then into heated garage and dehumidifier on !!!!

All before taking my leathers off !!!
    Gotta look after her ;)

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The weather is shite, but when the sun comes out, roads dry, can't beat West Coast of Scotland, beautiful place with great roads. Have to get a forum trip organised one day ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Superb write-up. Really enjoyed reading about and seeing the pictures of your trip. Thanks for posting!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    Good write up and pics, cheers for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I forgot to ask............. how well did the modified tail extender do in keeping crap of the back of the bike / pillion?

14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Brilliant :D:D:D, worked an absolute treat, and it got a proper testing. Bit of road dirt on the lomo bag, but nothing like they spray previous. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent write-up Mr O - very good indeed with some great pics. As I was sat here next the Rayburn I really felt I was alongside you on your journey ;);););):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Well done Mr O. Nice trip report and photos.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the update. I need to find something similar

18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My missus has just asked me to get the next one planned, so I just arranged my parents to come and dog / child sit at the start of July (next school holidays) for 4 days, so we can go do a tour of Ireland !!!! :)
    Even with the crappy weather she still loved it :confused:

Who's in Ireland? I'll be after route and accomodation advice ;)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

19. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    EYORE will be your man if your thinking about the south,i went last year there's some great roads down near Killarney, i also went to the north west 200 about 10 years ago and there were some great roads in that area, the Giants Causeway is not far from Portrush it's worth a visit

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Done the coast road and nw200 a couple of years ago. Stenna used to do a day return for bikes from Stranraer for £25, was a good day out.
    Thinking of doing the coast to Derry then south to Galway, then back across to Dundalk. Just a rough plan at the moment. Depends on roads and accommodation.