Featured My New Toy / Tank Range / Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Kosty, Sep 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kosty

Kosty Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Southend
    #1 Kosty, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    7E76CF91-254B-48DD-9A30-9FD67CDCDC6F.jpeg Hi, Iam a new member here,
    I was riding on various 125cc’s for last 7 years, and it was ok and very cheap to do riding in a city, but now for the last 6months Iam riding 44miles each way to work from Southend to london every day... that almost 2k a month...
    So I got fed up with the 125cc and last week passed my DAS mod 2.
    I bough a 2011 Speed Triple from Jordan Bikes that Iam picking up on a weekend and I wonder
    What is the actual tank range, riding 70%motrway 30% city, at reasonable speed as Iam new to the bike and quite a lot of my journey is doing just 30mph filtering traffic?
    And can I do a ECU remap to make the bike more fuel efficient? Even if it meant loosing some power?

And worm hello to everyone in here!!!
    As Iam waiting for picking up my bike I read through this forum like a good book!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi Kosty, welcome to the forum and congrats on passing your test. I have a 2015 Speed Triple and I would imagine that given the kind of riding you will be doing that a reasonable tank range would be in the region of 150 miles before you will need to look for fuel. A remap by someone like Hilltop motorcycles will make the bike more fuel efficient AND give more power. How do I know this? Well, I’ve just come back from a trip to Belgium and traveling with me was a pal with a 2013 Speed Triple who hasn’t had a remap. We rode the same distance at pretty much the same pace and I averaged 58mpg to his 54mpg! The remap also makes the bike run very smooth as you transition from a closed throttle giving the most gains in the lower to midrange, in other words, the bit of the power we use all the time, especially on a commute.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kosty

Kosty Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Southend
    Thanks Yorkshireman!
    58mpg sounds very good.

4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! Nice ride.

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

6. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Eyup Kosty, and welcome.

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yeah I thought so til my mate on his T120 said he had got 72mpg:mad:, same trip

8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in Kosty, I can second the 150 mile safe range, probably manage another 30 or so on that if pushed, but depends how much the London traffic hits your mpg - I'd guess it won't make too much difference.
    Excelent choice and great looking bike, make sure you get some good security (hefty chain) on that and keep it covered for your best chance of hanging on to it in London!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hi & Welcome.

I am really disappointed . I read the title and thought you had bought a Challenger or similar tracked and armoured heavy vehicle and had taken it out on the tank range you had !!! :confounded:

A Speed Triple is nice, but I'd rather have a Challenger Tank !!!:p

upload_2018-9-12_13-32-35.png

(Callumity is now going to tell me that in fact this is a FV 4034 Challenger 2 !!!!!:confused: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome

hi.gif

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Very overpriced MrO you can have something like this for a lot less,( problem is once your in you cant get out)

download (1).jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My Challenger 2 would waste that in a second :p

The only thing to ever actually cause any damage to a Challenger 2 ?

Was another Challenger 2 in a 'Blu on Blue' incident:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome Kosty. As Yorkie says.

15. Kosty

Kosty Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Southend
    Having it stolen is my main concern now, I had 4bikes stolen so far, it only takes one day without a chain in London... so I ordered a Givi top box to make sure I will always have space for a decent chain (and not be lazy and think it be ok to ride it just once without the chain)...
    And a couple of disk locks...
    Hopefully it will be enough for the thieves to prefer to choose some easier pray...

• Like Like x 1
  16. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #16 chuk, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Ok easy answer full tank super unleaded average of 150/160 miles until warning light appears,don’t tend to do more than 20 miles after that if riding a tad harder should still get over 120/130 miles till petrol light appears,done this umpteen times on mixed roads and riding conditions,nice bike and colour but I’m biased as have 2011 same colours welcome in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Welcome, I’m in Eastwood if you fancy meeting up for some rides on sunny days

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kosty

Kosty Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Southend
    Thanks for all the replies, so it looks like I will be visiting a petrol station 3 times a week :) but to be honest, I sometimes stop midtrip at station to buy a drink anyways...

After riding 2-3h every day to work and back iam happy to park my 125cbr for the weekend, But I think this will change with a proper bike... :)

19. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Fingers crossed for you (don't envy your situation - but needs must :)).
    If you're getting a top box (there are certain depraved individuals on this forum that will instantly become your best friend :joy:) then make room for a bike cover, apparently it significantly reduces the risk of theft, the scrotes don't know if it's a bike worth their attention or not I guess - so tend not to bother.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kosty

Kosty Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Southend
    I don’t like the look of the top box, but it sure is more comfortable to put my 11kg pragmasis 16mm chain inside it, than to curry it in a backpack... and if I just go on Friday night to Ace caffe or for a ride it can be taken off :)

• Like Like x 1