My Garage Roof Blew Off This Morning

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OldNick, Mar 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I’m looking for some advise please, this morning as I was pottering around the end of the garden thinking it was a bit blowy I almost had my head lopped off by a huge chunk of felt off the garage roof!

My question is for a bog standard single garage how much would you expect to pay to get the roof refelted?

I have a guy coming round next week and am expecting the plumbers tooth suck moment!!

Many thanks in advance for any advise

Nick

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Why don't you just buy the rolls and adhesive tar - save a fortune - I did a whole stable block for less than £200. That was 5 heavy duty rolls

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    i had a flat roof recovered (about 3m x 3m) including new OSB roof boards and hot tar applied felt and it cost about £300. All done in a day. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It was done by a roofer I’ve known and used a few times over the years, plus I’m up norf so things are cheaper and we don’t rip each other off as much! :p :joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I should fookin' say!!
    4 sheets of OSB is £80 on it's own. Disposal of the waste would be another £70. The bloke must be working for pocket money!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    My mate who is a roofer in North Wales often travels as far as London to replace roof tiles as it's cheaper for him to do the job than a local roofer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Thanks everyone that’s been really helpful, I was thinking about £7/800 which seems about right
    I’ll see what the guy says Tuesday but I think we’re in the right ballpark:)

Gladtobebackontwowheels may be a bit far away, I’m in Eastbourne and it’s a bit of a treck from Dover! But mate if your up for it let me know!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Yes, Eastbourne's a bit far for me and it's not really my area of expertise, but give me a few details - roof size, OSB required?, single layer or full felt roof? and I'll see if I can get a ball-park figure for you.

• Like Like x 4
  9. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Thanks a million for your help

no idea what OSB is, but roof size is around 5m x 3m and I’d probably want full felt, the joists and wooden slats look ok to me, so I don’t think they would need replacing

thanks again

Nick

10. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Ok mate. OSB is the sheet material they use for flat roofs, like plywood. If your timber work looks ok they should be fine to strip and re-felt. A full felt roof is three layers but for a non-habitable building it can be done with two layers of felt. I'll message my roofer mate and see what he says.
    Pete.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    You are a star Sir

Thankyou

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Ok, so, my mate reckons it should be in the range £550 - £650.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Thanks Gladtobebackonteowheels that’s really helpful

Nick