My Beautiful Street Twin Blew Over In The Wind Last Evening

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Callofdutygirl, Jan 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callofdutygirl

Callofdutygirl New Member

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    #1 Callofdutygirl, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Hi guys and A Happy New Year to all.
    My bike blew over (cover on) on our drive yesterday evening taking my partners brand new Vespa along with it. The Vespa seems ok on first inspection, but my side cover with the Street Twin logo is smashed (easily replaced I imagine at the cost of £100 odd), but my main concern is the big dent in the fuel tank, caused by landing against the Vespa I imagine. I only ride bikes and I'm afraid to admit that the mechanical side is beyond me. First question do you think the dent in the tank will affect the security of the fuel? There doesn't appear to be a fuel leak. I need it to get to work tomorrow. Second question, do you think the tank dent can be taken out or will I need a new tank, at what I imagine will be a huge expense. I'm in despair. Thanks for your help. Here's a photo.
    Angie

Bonnie damage.JPG

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

The tank is repairable Angie :)
    But it will mean tank off the bike and therefore bike off the road while you get it done :(
    If it’s not leaking you can use the bike as normal :)
    It’s then just cosmetic thing while you arrange repairs or source a replacement :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Oh thanks so much for getting back to me. I'll have to see where I can get it done. I'll call the triumph dealer tomorrow to see what they suggest. I'm in bits over it, so upset. I always take the cover off when the wind picks up, rather have a wet bike than it blow over. The wind caught me by surprise yesterday evening, I just heard the bikes go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pedro

Pedro New Member

Oct 2, 2017
    The Cotswolds
    Hi Angie, bad luck with that happening! I had a similar thing happen when my Thruxton got knocked over by an idiot car driver who couldn't reverse properly. It broke off the front brake lever and right side foot rest and made the bike un-rideable. Now repaired to the tune of £108! Your tank should be fine to ride with, but I would definitely have a good look & feel around the underside first just to make sure there is no leakage. It'll be pretty obvious as you wil be able to smell the fuel. As for the dent, they can be professionally repaired, but obviously needs removing and will take a few days. Probably cheaper than buying a new one unless you can find someone breaking a street twin with an un-damaged tank. Good luck & Happy New Year. Pete

• Like Like x 1
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Terrible bad luck Angie. :mad: Dilligaf's advice is spot on though :D
    All the best and better luck for 2018

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hi and welcome in.
    That is such a shame, feel your pain.
    As Dilligaf says, OK to ride as long as no fuel leakage. Try one of the dent pulling services, doesn't look badly creased, you might be lucky and get it pulled.
    In future, don't let it anywhere near the vespa, and get your partner on a proper bike:p;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Can I even suggest pouring boiling water over it an giving it a whack on top?
    I have seen it done on car wings with decent sized dents popping out!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to read of your bad luck. As half ton has suggested, a call to a local car body repair shop would be worth trying first for the tank. The side panel should be able to be replaced for far less than buying brand new, there are a few on ebay for £35ish and in the colour of your bike.

It is a sickening feeling, but you will be able to get it looking as new again. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Oh thank you Gary, I’ve just looked on eBay for the side panel and seeing them on there has eased the pain a little bit. Now to sort the tank.

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I found two Street twin tanks in perfect condition on Ebay UK. Do a Google search and see what is available. If you had a second tank you could install it whilst your original tank is being repaired; then sell on the the second tank to recupe your cash. Swappy the tanks over is a very simple and quick task.

This way you would have your bike available for use 100% of the time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Oh thank you Gary, I’ve just looked on eBay for the side panel and seeing them on there has eased the pain a little bit. Now to sort the tank.

12. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you, I’ll take a look.

13. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Plenty of 'dent and scratch' type of repair shops around and about. I guess one near you would be able to sort out your tank. Someone more local to you may be able to advise where to go.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    All good advice to repair the tank, but you need to take measures to stop it happening again.
    Was it on the side stand ?
    Centre stands are a lot safer providing you are on a hard level surface. Worth fitting one if not already on.
    Can you park it in a less windy part of your property, against side or front of house etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Yes it was on a side stand. I don’t have a centre stand. Facing uphill on the drive. I had a cover on it that I usually take off when the wind increases. We live on the coast and unfortunately it can get quite gusty. I should have moved the bikes into the back of the house, where the wind can’t reach them, but it was New Year’s Eve and we were distracted. I’m usually extremely aware of where it’s parked.

16. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you all so much for your positive and encouraging words. I’m very much hoping that I will be able to get it sorted without using my insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Hopefully you will get it back looking as good as new real soon without incurring too much cost. Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on.

18. Callofdutygirl

Jul 1, 2016
    East Sussex
    I will keep you all posted. You’ve all be great

• Like Like x 2
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Two benefits to be had from parking at the back of the house.
    1) Minimal chance of wind damage by the sound of it.
    2) Hidden from prying eyes and makes it harder to steal.
    Can be a real pain at times but well worth the effort after listening to the number of bikes reported stolen on this forum alone.
    Look at having a centre stand fitted, great addition for servicing etc.
    Good luck with the repair, sickening, but it could have been a lot worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, good luck with the repairs.
    Wessa