765 My 765 R Suspension Adjustments

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by topdec, Jun 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #1 topdec, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    I'm creating this thread as a means to keep track of my suspension adjustments. I am no expert and am very forgetful, that's why I need a log for my work. I'll be following instructions in the owner's manual when making changes to my bike.

Below are suspension settings taken from the 2018 Street Triple Owner's Handbook. All settings are for the 2018 765 R (regular seat height).

Stock Front suspension

Code:
                  Preload       Rebound (TEN)         Compression (COM)
    Track           5                  1                1.5
    Sport           5                  1                2
    Road            5                  2.5              5
    Comfort         5                  5.5              7

Stock Rear Suspension

Code:
    Track          N/A                 1.25             1.5
    Sport          N/A                 1.5              2
    Road           N/A                 2.5              2
    Comfort        N/A                 3                2.75

2. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #2 topdec, Jun 5, 2018
    Date: 06-04-2018
    Rider weight: 150 lbs
    Riding style: Street

Front and rear suspension settings were set to be in-between road & sport settings.

Code:
    Front          5                  1.75               3.5
    Rear           N/A                2                  2

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Your weight is within the range that the suspension is designed for so you shouldn't have to do too much, would suggest though that you set front and rear to the same IE both sport or both road or both the same setting somewhere between the 2.
    I am considerably heavier at 220lbs so had to increase pre-load to reduce the sag front & back on my RS, then I set to sport settings all round and bike handles superbly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Thanks for your suggestion, Bad Billy. I applied the rear TEN change, from 1.5 to 2, and I updated the details of my post.

5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Ok Topdec, see how that goes, set up is a lot with feel & confidence, a lot depends on what sort of riding you do, I have different suspension to you on the RS & only ride for fun, it all makes sense when I am riding hard but I wouldn't set it up quite as firm if I was commuting on it .

6. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #6 topdec, Jun 5, 2018
    Yeah, the main issue I found was with the front rebound setting. The compression setting was on ROAD mode, but rebound was set too soft.

Setting the front and rear suspension made a difference in exiting corners this morning. Less bouncing. I had more confidence trailing off the front brake and getting on the gas. We'll see this afternoon when the temperature is warmer.

My riding will change as I get more familiar with the combination of braking and rev-matching my down-shifts with respect to what the slipper clutch is doing. I also need to refine my throttle input which I'm finding out is harder to do on a triple vs. an inline-4, or maybe it's the ECU-managed throttle-by-wire that is so precise and allows for very little slack.

I'll keep this setting for a month, I think.

7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville

8. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Your experience with a new bike is indeed strange. I'm glad you got the settings sorted out for your riding style.

I bought mine used with 2098 miles. Before changing settings on my bike, I verified that all settings were on ROAD mode, except for the front rebound.

9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Mine was 2 weeks old with 200 miles when I got it (long story!) so I guess the guy I bought it off had changed things.

10. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    I set my RS to track, it's spot on you can tell by the tyre wear

11. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Good to know. If you don't mind, can you also let us know your riding style and a ballpark # of your weight in lbs?

12. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    14 st and ham fisted but throttle mainly on the stop

13. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #13 topdec, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Thanks. I think @Bad Billy and your input confirm that my current settings, which are set to be between road and sport mode, is good for now. I do feel that my bike is more planted in corners now.

14. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I have the R LRH version, although the bike was very composed on track, the suspension was a little soft so am going to either have a play myself or get it setup at Steve Jordan Motorcycles.

15. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Nice video. It looks like you could benefit from learning to set you suspension yourself since you do both gymkhana and racetrack sessions. Lucky you!

Perhaps you can watch the guys at the motorcycle place you mentioned to setup the suspension and ask them for pointers so you can feel confident adjusting them on your own.

The hardest part for me was to make sure I start dialing in from the correct side...either from full clock-wise or full-counterclockwise position. I don't know why Showa had to make this different between preload and COM&TEN.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I've played with setting the suspension on dirt bikes with some success in the past so not scared to fiddle with them. Having a lot less travel on my suspension compared to the regular height version does however mean I am not sure on setting the sag and rider sag though

17. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #17 topdec, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Ah, got it.

In this case, it would really be good to get comfortable with adjusting the suspension yourself since the shop would probably not get it right the first time.

To start tinkering with the forks, perhaps leave preload alone until you’ve figured out COM and TEN settings for the kind of riding you’re setting up for. Then soften up or harden preload to fine-tune. I know this is kind of reverse, but it's what I did with mine because I didn't have anyone to help me measure sag.

For the rear, the R doesn’t have adjustablity for preload...just saw in the manual that the R LRH does have preload adjustment for the shock. Good to know, but I wonder why this left that out for the R.

18. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
  19. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Guys, this link is as near to an suspension for dummies guide as you can get (no offence!), I have used this principle to set up every bike I have owned for the last 10 years or more. Be realistic about where and how you are riding and set up accordingly, I have set the loaded sag on my RS for my weight (16st) for exactly halfway between soft and hard for the road as this is where I ride, if I were doing track days then I would set it with much less sag.
    Once the loaded sag is set it is just a matter of getting the rebound and compression settings to suit, I used the Triumph recommended for 'sport' and it feels pretty good.

It is not a dark art, it is a faff to do, and you need 2 people, but once it is done, it's done, just write down what you change so if you don't like it you can change it back.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-.../november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #20 topdec, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Thanks for the link.

I just got done trying to set my fork preload while in full riding gear.

With the fork in the air, the wife measured 22.5 cm from the bottom of the ziptie that's underneath the fork seal to the top of the axle shaft. With me on the bike and lightly leaning on the wall with my pointer finger, the measurement was 18.25 cm. This is with preload set to factory setting (5), and COM & TEN set between road and sport mode.

The problem we encountered is she can't get a steady decrease in reading the sag when I turn the preload screw. Her reading just kept bouncing between 18 cm and 18.5 cm as I go from 5 to 4, or from 5 to 6/7.

I'll try again tomorrow.. I'll set all settings back to stock and go from there.