My 2002 955i... Learning My Way Around

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DanielB, Jan 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hi, thank you all for the warm welcome so far on the newbies page.

Thought I'd move over here as my questions may be more appropriately sited ...

Is this the right place for a 2002 triple 955i - everyone seems a bit more modern

If so, a couple of questions. Please do redirect me as necessary if answers exist elsewhere.

I'm looking for gentle mods. So, any general recommendations are welcome, I already have one for LED headlights....

The throttle seems a bit snatchy at low speed. I've cleaned and lubed the (twin) cable....is this simply a quirk to get used to, or something I can fix? The snatch is from zero to 'something'. It's very difficult to turn the power on gently at low speed (10mph).

Two cable front brake - does it matter which side I bleed first? Need to change the fluid ...

Front brake is a little snatchy at low speed. Is that just because they bite, and bite well!? And low speed grips easily!

Other than this, I am loving this, my first Triumph.... I just need to learn to ride it properly to do it justice!

IMG_20181105_152348.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Hi, not sure about the snatchy throttle on this model, but I found the 2015 speedy I had was like that. So probably a characteristic of the bike.
    I believe you always bleed the caliper farthest away from the brake reservoir first. ( I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong)
    Take care

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I had an '02 Daytona Centennial 955i a few years ago which was also a bit 'snatchy' at low speed. It had Carbon Can Company end can fitted at the time which may have been the cause because I had it dealer serviced and they cured it (without being asked!) by putting a different tune in the ecu.:cool:

The above will either be helpful or total bollox:confused: - you choose.o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks Stevethegoolie... As it happens I had the guys at Hughenden M40 (Oxfordshire) check the mapping and it was all ok...

I had this done as I felt it was too loud so replaced the baffle...they checked whether a remap was necessary afterwards but all checked out ok.

I think I may explore a new cable...but it may also just be the bike...

The only other thing I considered is that it does have Oxford heated grips. I didn't put them on so don't know how they fit or work, but perhaps it's that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you!

How will I know if it's an early efi?

IsI'd s that there's about a cm play in the grip/throttle, so it twists a little before it bites. A bit of slack to take up perhaps...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    The 2002 - 2004 model doesn't typically have a snatchy throttle. (I have a 2004 and it has a very civilised throttle. I have a 2010 as well and it's throttle is much more sensitive, not snatchy but sensitive to throttle movements. You will probably become more adept as smoothing it out with more saddle time.
    You may need to adjust the throttle cable tensions and make sure that they both have a small amount of slack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #7 joe mc donald, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    DanielB
    All the throttle's have a little free play don't adjust that or you will be doing wheelies. But seriously that free play stops your machine revving up when turning and cornering. The brakes you need to sit and all those semi floaters you need to get a nut and bolt couple of washers and spin them to clean them out give them a wash with petrol or spirits to clean. And your snatcniness if the bike has been laid up any length of time then probably needs a good run and fresh petrol. Also worth checking your plugs and around those carb mechanism make sure they have been lubed and are free moving as for cables they need to be free and smooth. If you take your throttle grip of clean the bar end and relube and clean the throttle grip inside and refit after making sure it is easy and free. Couple of good runs and your steed should be as good as new. You didn't mention miles on the bike and service history. Forgot to say when you spin those floating barrels do not over tighten your nut and bolt finger tight usually good enough.
    Ride Free
    Joe.