Music Question For Brits!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MPTriumph, May 19, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MPTriumph

MPTriumph Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    So I was just sitting here listening to some classic modern rock (The Smiths) and I got to thinking. What songs embody the feeling and soul of a classic English motorcycle. I mean. We all know hard rock or metal music identifies witha harley davidson but I don't think the song necessarily needs to actually talk about the motorcycle. Rather the feelings and mentality of the times. I figured I'd reach out to you guys, especially you brits, and find out what you think. Have fun and I can assure you I will be looking up an listening to every suggestion.

2. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    #2 MPTriumph, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    I should add that here in the states, the Smiths would be referred to as "modern rock" or "alternative" as it came out in the late 70s and continued through the early 90s. At that time there was no designation for the new music and all that people knew was "rock and roll". Modern rock or alternative music would include bands such as Elvis Costello, the Squeeze, Depeche Mode, David Bowie and Duran Duran along with thousands more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    #3 MPTriumph, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Ok, after posting this thread, I reviewed the songs that I had listened to most while riding my Triumph....the first was The Stone Roses, "love spreads" or Peter Frampton. "Do you feel like we do?" You have to listen to the live version though!

4. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Being French, but spending some time in UK, I've discoverd that for some of the Brits, listening to the Smith (I do) is not something really appreciated. I had some interesting discussions about that with some of them. But the big shame is to like Cliff Richard :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    Yeah...its hard to tell how brits feel about british bands. I do know that music by the Smiths is a bit of an acquired taste but I imagined Morrissey to be thought of like an English Elvis! Haha!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    Wow! I have to say I did not know who cliff Richards was until you mentioned him him, I then looked up his songs and realized I knew them But up until now I never knew who was singing the song. I find this very interesting because they described him as the English Elvis but I had never heard of him before. Although, I must add that his music reminds me of the smiths as it seems be be an acquired taste! Lol

7. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    There are lots of versions and covers of this (very popular in open mic nights as a simplified strum-along) but hearing RT play it live is a special thing...

• Like Like x 3
  8. philip ham

philip ham New Member

Aug 30, 2018
    anglesey

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. philip ham

philip ham New Member

Aug 30, 2018
    anglesey
    Cosy powel was a real rocker Ritchie Blackmore wanted him before rainbow

• Like Like x 1
  10. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    That is an amazing song!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    While to work a few weeks back, I heard an interview with Richard Thompson on National Public Radio, @DCS900. It was incredibly interesting. I missed the first part and meant to go back into the NPR archives to see if I could find it but never got around to it. Your post reminded me to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MPTriumph

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    Glad I could help! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona