MPG

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by PeteH, Jul 19, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Finally got around to playing with the buttons on the Speed prior to and during yesterdays ride to the lakes and back....surprised to see it averaged 51 mpg, now I know what im doing I`ll keep an eye on it ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    When I had it, I used to get north of 50mpg on my Daytona 955i CE on a regular basis.

Trident gives 45-50mpg depending on my/its mood!!

3. camman

camman Member

Jun 7, 2015
    christchurch dorset
    My 1980 T140 with twin 34mm Mikuni carbs and a bit of tuning drinks faster than I can:eek:
    Never measured it, but with the American "peanut" tank on it, I start looking for filling stations when I have covered 40 miles:(.....I forgive it though, as it is such fun:)

4. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    39 - 41 mpg... I'm obviously doing something wrong... :)

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Ride it,fill it up,ride it,fill it up........you get the picture.
    Never really bothered with MPG just enjoy riding.
    A mate of mine used to keep all his fuel receipts and work out his MPG from them o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ireland
    I've never calculated it, but i noticed the difference straight away compared to my GSXR,

7. S3R

S3R Member

Jan 13, 2015
    34-35 mpg here...check it occasionally, but don't really worry about it...

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bonneville (790cc carbs) managed between 55 and 61mpg.
    Trident not sure about yet, but seems to be around the 45 to 48 mpg figure.
    It's only really useful to have a rough idea so you can work out the range of a tank by putting the clock back to zero each fill up.
    Desperate to find a petrol station in Germany saw 204 miles out of a full tank on the Bonnie.

9. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Great info but no offence I don't give a monkeys about MPG I just want to have fun LOL

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Staffordshire
    I dare not check, I fill up at noon on a Saturday cost about £17 quid, take it for a spin mixing riding experience around town, open and winding roads back at 6,times two Saturdays and I am empty. The street would last 3 Saturday blast's. Some method of gauging but who gives a dam I enjoy every milli second I am in the saddle, my Saturday treat.

11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I don't care what mpg the bikes do either, my point was that it is useful to have a rough idea of the range of a full tank especially if you touring abroad.

12. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I know I can do about 150 miles on a tank full that's good enough for me LOL
    And a wee bit less when I'm on it !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Staffordshire
    Hi see what you mean, I guess fill to the brim take for a spin, check there you have being, (I am a poet and don't know it) miles fill up again and compare to the reading on the clocks. I will say one thing I have noticed the fuel level gauge does drop very quickly after half way and with in no time the orange light is on so in to unknown territory how many miles have you left. So if touring plan your stops for fuel based on your research. Question is a speedy is a naked sports so is the tank capacity may be much different from say a z1000 six or tiger sport so on, not as if your questioning this as you just interested in mpg on yours but I can only assume you just after a comparison against other guys. You get me questioning my usage I reset trips and fill up next time and monitor and get back with results.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah you need to plan stops on a bike with a shortish range like the Bonneville. My problem came when the filling station I had planned on using was shut! Switch to reserve, come off autobahn, slower pace on minor roads and pray!

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Back in the old days when I first started touring from UK to France, I wasn't aware that just about every petrol station would be shut on Sundays and almost all of them had no form of 24hr card service.

Caused some anxious moments I can tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I usually plan for about 120 miles per tank when touring,err on the side of caution.
    I know what you mean about French petrol stations.One of the one's we'd planned to use was having the pumps serviced and let to a nervous detour.

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    100to110 miles for me! Me bums gone numb after about 80 so it's a welcome break!

18. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    if I rag the speed triple I get 46mpg but don't have to try too hard to get 55 as it has so much torque I just short shift and get 55 regularly,my 800 tiger does 58.

19. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    A tank of motion lotion only seems to last me a day.... But it's the price I'm prepared to pay for the huge grin it puts on me face :D:D