Mpg

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by crispey, Jan 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have copied this Idea from another area and would like to know what other Thruxton owners are getting
    According to the specs a Thruxton has a 16 litre ( 3.5 gallon) tank and mpg is quoted at 56mpg at 75mph which would give you 161 miles to the tank, My fuel light comes on at around 100 miles and I haven't had the guts to run it past 120 miles before refuelling which usually leaves me with about 2 litres in the tank, I think. This means I am running at about 40 mpg. Does this sound about right?
    I have an EFI model, British Custom Predator Pipes, DNA air filter with TTP airbox and appropriate MAP.

• Like Like x 1
  2. andy56

andy56 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Hi I have a carbed 2007 model and currently get 42mpg (imperial gallons) which i pleased with having just cured only getting 36mpg.
    I have TORs pipes fitted and air injection removed.
    I would love to see 56mpg but do not no anybody who has seen this.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    I have a 2010 EFi T100 and I get overall 50mpg (UK gallons).

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    [​IMG]

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Crispey, that wasn't being a tad sarcastic was it?

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    biglad now you got me wondering if you are being sarcastic or not. At 50 mpg I'm jealous not sarcastic, My fill ups seem to come around too often. your probably getting an extra 35 miles out of yours which makes a big difference when your out for a jaunt.

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    OK Well taking it on face value, this is how it works for me.

I fill up on the side stand (which for some reason seems to allow a little more fuel into the tank?) I ride about 210kms (approx 131mls) and see the first signs of the yellow light, I fill up at anything between 220 and 270kms. At that stage I'll put in perhaps 12-13ltrs. Rarely can I get much more than that.

So, 13ltrs divided by 4.54 gives me 2.86 gallons. If we take 250kms as the average, that makes 156 mls - so in this particular calculation the mpg is 156/2.86 = 54.6 miles per UK gallon.

Obviously this varies a little between gentle cruising 95kms/hr (about 60mph) on country roads, up to 5-6000rpm blasts.

I've tried to keep the bike optimised in terms of running efficiency by changing inlet, ECU tune and exhaust mods. For me she is as near perfect as it needs to get and when cruising around French towns in the summer and stopping at favourite cafés she gets a far amount of attention - which isn't too bad either.

Cheers
    Dave

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Biglad, Ah yes you live in france? For some odd reason I always find I get better MPG in France, in the car that is, I've not taken the bike over yet. Maybe its the less stopping and starting!

9. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Topped my tank yesterday as I set off for my maiden ride on my 2008 EFI Thruxton and fuel light came on tonight on the way home from work. Filled it to the same level as yesterday with 12.63 litres and the bike had covered 106 miles giving a rate of 38mpg. I'm hoping this will improve with use as the bike has only covered 5000 miles from new and I tend to ride within the limits but without labouring the engine.

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    38 mpg doesn't sound great, especially when you compare bikes to cars; my Toyota Avensis estate with 180bhp can get 40mpg on a run. When the wife and I rode our Triumphs (Street & Tiger) to the Alps and back last year we added all the fuel receipts and it came to nearly £600!!!
    I know you buy bikes more for the fun factor than economy but you would think bikes could do better.

11. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Too true! We've got a diesel mini that we have had from new it achieves 60mpg costs £20 per year for road tax and the service pack for £250 covers all service costs for either 5 years or 50,000 miles. After 40,000 miles we're still on the original brake pads and have just had 4 tyres fitted for less than £400.

I try to drive/ride smoothly and used to get over 50mpg from my ZX6R Ninja and about the same from my previous SV650 and Guzzi 950 so I would hope that the Thruxton will improve. I've spoken to Bonnie owners before who achieve nearer 60mpg.

12. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Can't seem to find any mention of the air filter in the owners handbook. I was hoping to check the state of it in case it may be contributing to the high fuel consumption. Presumably it will be accessed by one of the side covers? Is there an element that can be cleaned and re-oiled or is it a replace only item?
    Be grateful for any advice.

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The air filter is accessed from the LH side of the bike, behind the side cover and filter housing cover.

As std. it is a paper element which just gets thrown away and replaced. So my advice would be to buy a washable air filter and the best one I know of is the DNA version.

As a test remove the air filter and go for a ride, does it feel any better or not?

14. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    #14 Creaky, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks. Will have a look in the morning. Also going to try letting the motor spin a bit more which should help clear things out from its lack of use during the last 5 years. Think they call it an Italian tune up!

15. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Just been out and checked the air filter and it's like new. The airbox is clean and the airbox drain is clear. Filter must have been changed from new as one of the cable retaining clips hadn't been put back correctly. All sorted now though.

Just read Bike magazine new bike stats and it shows the Thruxton as only achieving 38mpg whereas the Scrambler and Bonneville are listed at 53 and 54! Strange as I thought that the range were all based on the same engine with just a change to the firing order to alter the power delivery/sound.

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you look on the official Triumph site, it shows the official mpg figures for all the Bonny derivatives and indicates an 'expected' overall mpg of, from memory, about 52 mpg for all of 'em; the Scrambler being just slightly better.

17. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks for that. I am hoping to be somewhere around that figure once the bike's been used a bit. Just been out this morning and done 70 miles and let it spin a bit. Very windy out there and heavy rain forecast for this afternoon. Quick pic at one of my stopping points but a bit cold to hang about for too long. Still loving the ride on this bike. Trundles nicely through the villages and opens up well on the open road.

image.jpg

18. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Bit of an update. Tried letting the motor spin a bit by holding lower gears for longer and cruising winding roads in 4th rather than 5th. As could be expected when I filled up again overall mpg had dropped from 38 to 36. Now trying the next tank riding conservatively to see if it makes any major difference. Will report back.

19. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    went out yesterday filled up and the fuel light hasn't come on and Ive reached 120 miles, I'm getting worried that the fuse has blown [​IMG]

20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bonnies do seem to be a bit better on mpg. My 04 (yeah I know it's a 790 as opposed to 865 - but it's getting on now!) has 32500 miles on the clock and regularly does 53 to 55 mpg. Managed 62 mpg when I first got it (how careful was I) with no mods. Now it has de-baffled stock pipes, AI removed, 115 main jets, Thruxton needles, K&N free flow filter and is de - snorkled. Last fill up after a fast run up and down the M3 and A303 it managed 53.4 mpg.
    38mpg does seem a bit mean but perhaps it will improve with more use.