mpg on a 1200

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Wag, Aug 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I found a thread but all posts i saw were about the 865. I'm very pleased to be getting 58 mpg, it's a very high geared bike though. By the way, it's brilliant, and ive never had so many stop and stares.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    The bike tells you what mpg its doing. Im merely looking at it. Ive got a 4.2 xk8....and just bought a small RIB which is rather joyous, we had a donut on it on saturday ! So im not eeking the petrol supplies out .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Big queue, and i keep sneaking back to the front ! Twas wonderful on satdy, donutting from sandy bay to exmouth. Funnily enough the xk is decent on fuel. 30+ on motorway

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Holy spunk ! I was merely mentioning it , i am not concerned. My w800 does 60+ but most other bikes ive had have done 45-50 . Rant not started. Insert smiley.

5. will

will New Member

Jul 14, 2016
    malvern worcs
    computer on bike says 63.4mpg averaged over 2500 miles on my thruxton of mixed riding, better than the 34 I was getting on the Guzzi sport. So now when riding with mates I feel smug to put the least fuel in rather than the most.

6. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    I've got a 6.2 C63 AMG so I dont think about fuel consumption at all.

7. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    AMC Pacer ? must be appreciating by now , Lofts'.

8. och2pot

och2pot New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Perthshire
    MPG on my Thruxton standard started at 66mpg av for the first 300miles but now the av mpg has dropped to 59.4 as the revs have increased now I'm over the 1000mile mark. Better than my Rocket3 anyway! I think 170-200 miles to a tank should be possible depending on the road and the right wrist...I can live with that although the tank could have been an inch wider each side for another 4-5L capacity.

9. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Mines been 58 constant so far, remarkable -considering the power.

10. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Can someone explain to me why in the UK it's mpg and not km per liter? Being long ago "metrified", I never understood that.

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Ha! I'm showing exactly the same (and also at 2500).

Maybe we just aint riding 'em hard enough will :)

12. hbtandy

hbtandy New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    London
    How do you remove the seat off a Triumph Thruxton (2015)? I have removed the screws and moved back and lifted but the seat refuses to come off. There appears to be two metal pronges under the seat? Can anyone offer any advice, is there a technique?
    I dont want to scatch the frame.

13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Should just slide back then lift from the rear, had it got a tail tidy? It's not catching under the stop light? If the prongs are catching just push down gently over that area with your right hand when gently sliding back and lifting with left. Might work

14. will

will New Member

Jul 14, 2016
    malvern worcs
    All things are relative. It's possible to travel quickly by anticipating conditions and using engine braking to reduce speed rather than the brakes maintaining corner speed and not upsetting the geometry/handling.
    Off to Spain & Portugal in a week so will give update then.
    Had I had this fuel consumption on the Guzzi, over the 70,000 miles I did I would be roughly £4600 better off at £5 a gallon.

15. hbtandy

hbtandy New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    London
    Thanks Crispey, No tidy tail, standard. It appears to be catching somehow at the front. It slides and lifts ok to the point where its catching somehow. I will be asking the service department at the dealership 2 questions; 1. To look at the seat removeal 2. Why the retaining bolts were replaced and spacers not used. They were supplied to me but in a plastic bag.

16. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    chortle

17. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    |Howdo , in that sense, we're semi-ridiculous over here . We measure our consumption in mpg still but we have to buy fuel in litres. The fact that most people don't knowhow many litres = a gallon is by the by ! we have the same mixture in weight , us older ones talk in pounds and stones(I don't think you use stones do you ? 14 pounds is a stone; i'm 14st 10lb . Measurements too, our tapes have inches and mm on them, at work now we talk in metric or imperial at the same time . I guess the current kids are all metrificated . We got back from US/ Canada last week, 4500 miles on the west half, I wouldn't fancy a small tank bike going thru Wyoming/ montana !

18. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    • .....maybe we can go back to proper measurements when we leave Strasbourg .

19. Triumpirate

Triumpirate Member

Aug 15, 2016
    USA
    Thanks wag, that is complicated. We're kinda all over the place here too. We have sports events commonly measured in meters (5km run, 100 meter dash etc) and everyone seems comfortable with what those distances mean. But yet football fields are measured in yards and long jumps are measured in feet and inches. We sometimes use mm for small measurements, especially with regard to firearms. Everyone gets how big a 9mm is here, yet we still stick with 357 caliber too, which is basically the same size.

The other confounding factor is US gallon vs Imperial gallon. So when you guys say you get x mpg, I suppose you mean per imperial gallon. An imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons, so your mpg values look pretty good to me! I'm kind of in the middle. I was educated with both the metric system and English units and spent a lot of time in school doing the conversions, so much so that I remember many of the conversions by heart (25.4mm=1inch, 3.78 liters = 1 gallon etc). Still, I think mostly in English units as do most Americans. There was a national effort to drill metrics into us during the 70's, but it never really took.

20. Black R

Black R Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Ashbourne South Australia
    #20 Black R, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Why is it called a 63 if it's a 62?
    My SLK is called a 55 but it's a 54?

I didn't buy my R for its economy either but according to the distance to empty readout the faster I go the further I can go. :0)