Motorbike Magazines...any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cliverdee, Sep 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Am finding my subscription to motorcycle sport & leisure to be mostly a waste of time, (reading it), and money. ( spending it) ... I’ve looked at other bike mags but they seem even less relevant to Triumph classic bikes so am a bit stuck as want to keep up to date with biking things so half think a magazine is useful. MS&L does what it says on the tin but I generally read the bits that interested me in 10 mins and chuck it in the bin. I’ve a Street Scrambler so thought the test update this month would be of interest but half the article is about sorting a flat tyre.. so wonder if they’ve lost the plot a bit with all this Covid stuff.... shall I just scrap my subscription and look on the shelves each month in WHSmith for anything of interest. I don’t want motorcycle mechanics style stuff nor backstreet heroes stuff... perhaps I’ve answered my own question ha ha:confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    • Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #3 Octoberon, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Picking and choosing in Smiths isn’t such a bad idea. You’ll find a lot of stuff online as well, as mentioned. I’ve been a Bike subscriber for years as I like the continuity of the format and you get used to the crew who run it and write the articles. These days they focus quite a lot on the travel aspect of biking, which makes for some good reading if you’re interested in that sort of thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Yes thanks ... I used to like the columnists in MS&L but feel they’ve currently little to say as obviously not been doing much over the past few months .... not into the travel ideas or routes now as my SS is just local bumbling about which I enjoy every time I take it out ...but can’t think of a mag that caters for just bumbling about .. perhaps bee monthly is worth a look?? .... what’s everyone else reading motorbike wise ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I stopped reading bike mags years ago. I just use the internet to catch up on all things bikes now

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    I still get a few motorcycle mechanics magazines if there is something of interest. The only one I subscribe to now is classic bike as its well written and a bit more diverse these days (not just british stuff). The ex racers bit is good, bit like 'lunch with...' that motor sport used to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I don't subscribe to any, as such. We have a family subscription to the Readly app, more magazines than you can read, quite a few bike mags. Have a trial subscription of it, see how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’m so old I hate ebook things and trying to read articles etc on my iPad so do prefer printed info on bikes and other interests ... as most mags seem to feature adventure bikes and touring I think the solution is to swap my bike to another Tiger 800 and go touring in Istanbul as that seems the trend ... usefully MS&L has put me off Royal Enfields as they appear to be rather prone to breaking down and bits falling off both in Siberia and Watford so clearly part of my subscription has paid off ! ... thanks for suggestions and I’ll keep thinking on it ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Yeah, I get you.... I found it a bit of a pain using an e reader too, at first. Now I have a huge library of books (mostly free ones, have a daily email with free and cheap books, from bookbub. Linky if anybody's interested. https://bit.ly/3ghjL1s) and read a lot of stuff that I wouldn't normally read, happy to try it if it's free! As much as I have a large collection of 'physical' books, I have got used to the digital variety too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    If you bank with Lloyds, their free account for those putting a regular pay check in gives a free EMAP magazine subscription - I use it for Bike mag, which I was already subscribing to anyway so was happy to select.

Will pick up others when needing some reading matter for a flight, etc - Practical Sportsbike is a good one for me as it mainly deals with older machines.

DS

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I've been a "REAL CLASSIC" subscriber since edition one, mainly because of Frank Westworth's writing. I think he and Rowena moved over from Used Bike Guide (?) when it got bought out by EMAP.

RC can be very oddball and very mainstream within the same edition so usually has something of value and interest to say, and usually says it in a highly readable way.

I also subscribe to Old Bike Mart but that's more of a habit than anything else!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I subscribe to Practical Sportsbike. I used to subscribe to Performance Bike for many years, then it amalgamated with Practical Sportsbike, with a Performance Bike section, and I just continued. I find it a good balance of older stuff, rebuilds and up to date bikes. I used to subscribe to Bike magazine int 70's and 80's, but stopped when Ogri stopped.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I agree. I don't subscribe any more but pick one up from the shelf in the store if it looks interesting. I like flipping through the pages of a real magazine on occasion.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    I subscribe to 2 Ride and Practical sports bike. I find most of the rest are full of ditch pumps and Italian, Austrian and Yank tanks, all priced out of reach of most of us.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I just bought the autumn What Bike, it's £6 but has loads of content. I think it's the best value mag and refreshing to have more content than adverts! It's a proper bog mag as you can keep going back to it, comparing bikes etc. It is about half bike comparison, kit and tinkering type articles and half the 'Top Trumps' tables of bikes. Some articles look familar, like one comparing Street Triple RS, Speed triple and Speed Twin, so maybe they buy in bike comparison articles.

I think the best info is from forums like this and online searching, but as a bit of a bike fix I like this mag in the same way I like to pour over an OS touring map when starting to plan a ride out rather than being online!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It's a slippery slope to Land Rover Owner from there.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    There's no hope for you. Unless the brunette turns up on her scooter. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    I've got the long haired brunette - but there is NO WAY she is going to be allowed to have a scooter....any motorbike yes.... but Scooter.... NO.... 8)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1