Motocross Day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Notso, Sep 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #1 Notso, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    I have been thinking for a while now that I would like some experience with a bike at limits of grip and obviously don't want jump into experimenting on my pride and joy. I have heard several people say that off road is a good place to start. My first thought was buy a cheap light scrambler then find somewhere to take it, after a little hunting I realised there is no such thing as a cheap scrambler! Then I got looking at experience days and have pretty much settled on a motocross day at the Penkridge KTM centre. It's £185 for a day including kit, which compared to the cost of the bikes and kit seems a reasonable place to start. It looks like a good way to get better skills, plus looks like a blast as well.

Anyone else done one of these?

2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I haven't done one of those, but I started out off-road when I was a kid and first started riding. I really learned a lot about how the bike handles and how it reacts in different situations on different surfaces. I may not be the best rider in the world, but my off-road experience has saved my bacon more than a few times. It's knowledge and experience that can't be gained riding on paved streets alone in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I have an 2002 KTM enduro. Road legal so you can ride green lanes (in England &Wales), etc. Great fun and don't worry about dropping it.

Did an off-road training day last year at Drumclog, near Lanark. Unfortunately closed down during covid and looks likely to re-open. Became so much more confident in my own abilities. Had us riding up and down insane steep hills. Was only one day but made me a lot better off-road, sliding the bike around, giving it the waving leg.
    Only cost me £40, but that was on my bike, with my own gear.

Really do recommend it, makes you much happier to ride when the wheels are not in line. This helps both on and off- road.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got similar aspirations for finding limits and generally having the chance to build confidence on a bike when it doesn't matter too much if you drop it. I haven't tried these places but I intend to at some point.

http://www.flattrackschool.co.uk
    https://adysmith.co.uk

• Like Like x 2
  5. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Thought I knew my limits - 04_Hollister_Nat[1] (2).jpeg

Found my limits -

Tim 1994 Hospital.jpg

Limits suck, gravity suck and I hope you don't find your limits.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It was his lass :eek:
    He forgot to put the seat down when he’d finished having a slash :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    I was dropping off a 25' ( 8 meter) cliff face. Had done this drop many times but this time it went wrong. A little sideways on the approach, had to bail, went into the ground head first and then the bike landed on me. Skull fractures, dislocated left shoulder/left hip, lacerated abdominal wall and was legally blind for 4 months.

Plus it happened on Mothers day so my lass was not happy. She made me stop riding/racing so I got a new one.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    "I was dropping off a 25' ( 8 meter) cliff face" :eek:

head first:eek:

Bike landed on me :eek:

Glad you are here to tell the tale.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Beerman

Beerman Guest

I did a day with Mick Extance recently - a Dakkaar rider, runs courses in Llangynog near Oswestry,

Brilliant fun, and great for learning.

Beerman

• Like Like x 2