Moto Guzzi Griso

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by chuk, Jul 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BOOG

BOOG Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    I was seriously considering an El Dorado but quickly moved on as, my mechanic friends tell me parts can be a challenge in the states to find and expensive if the need arises. Beautiful bike though.
    upload_2020-5-12_17-10-30.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Fab bike! I’m not normally a fan of this style of bike, mostly had Jap sportsbikes before the Triumph. But l love the look of that California. What sort of price would you pay for something like that in good condition?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    In Canada it is about 12000 CAD for a 2014 California Touring.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    An Italian friend of mine told me to go for the California instead of the El Dorado. If you need something rugged then he said the Audace is better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Certain bikes [as mentioned above] had valve train issues and the answer was a roller bearing conversion they are a required taste the ones I had [older types] where very reliable but them I looked after them the very latest like the 1400 Californian are much improved from the troublesome era

• Like Like x 2
  6. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Chrome and electrics was always an early Italian bike problem, I also had a Meriden Bonneville with Veglia clocks that rotated around in the bezel

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I think Guzzi are one of those Marmite brand (love 'em or hate 'em) bikes. I love 'em myself. I've had 3 in the past, my first was an 1100 Breva and most recently a 1200 Sport with the 4v heads. For a short arse like me they have a low seat height and once on the move the weight seems to disappear. You can hustle them along at a fair whack and the 1200 Sport churned out well over 100 bhp, but its not really what they are about. They do make great tourers with the shaft drive, comfy seat and wide ish bars. I'd certainly have another if I was looking for that kind of bike to add to the garage. 2011-10-24 13.19.02.jpg

2011-10-24 15.22.35.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  8. BOOG

BOOG Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    why?

9. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    #29 Samz, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    I’m talking about the older models (70’s, early 80’s) as I’ve not ridden a newer model. Pretty sure they’ll have a more modern feel but still have a character of their own.
    The older models were kind of agricultural but in a good way. Very over engineered and solidly built. The linked brakes weren’t to everyone’s taste but I found them ok, you got used to them. The bike rocks from side to side at tick over due to the shaft, not really noticeable on the move. Very stable to ride, with slow steering. A big difference from modern stuff with their 17” front wheels.
    If you are trading your triumph in at a dealers I would suggest you ask to have an extended test ride. Perhaps for a weekend if you are a returning customer and know the dealer well? Go with an open mind, appreciate there will be differences and hopefully you will enjoy the experience. Don’t be swayed by the “experts” who will always tell you the negatives on everything and anything!
    You are the one who’ll be riding it, so at the end of the day it’s entirely YOUR CHOICE.
    Dare to be different. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Thank you very much Samz. Yes I guess I will have to wait until they open up in Canada and I can actually go and get a ride. It is more than a day's drive from where I live and I sure have to fly there. LOL. I am looking for cruise control too and with the Thunderbird no longer in production and no accessories available I am looking for something that is in production and not Japanese or American. So the options are rather limited. Its between a Rocket 3 and the Guzzi California unless I wait for the BMW cruiser to come out. But that is even heavier than the Rockets 3 from the information I was told.

11. Hugh Murray

Hugh Murray New Member

May 17, 2019
    Somerset
    If its any help, I have a 2008 1100 moto guzzi griso - what a fab bike to ride and with a set of termigionis on what a sound !! The valve train issue were as I understand it the 4 valve head 1200's. High wear on cam followers due to poor coating of surfaces and some say not using exactly right oils. Later ones had the issue factory fixed and anyone with sense got their's upgraded pronto. Later 1200 griso's and early to mid Stelvios were plagued with this issue. Shame, I really wanted the Stelvio until I couldn't find a good un - until I tried a Tiger 955i and here I am !! Plenty of info online. My Griso 2VH 1100 has no issues here and is probably my fave bike ever - even more so than my old 1100sport i. The 4VH engine was made to develop more power but tended to rev a bit higher, which guzzis like to do even though big twins. I have ridden the 1400 cali custom,big n heavy but rides really well and surprisingly quick ! Didnt know the 1400 engines had an issue, Ive only heard its a peach. Hope this helps ?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    He said it look brutal and rough looking. Plus the ride is more sportier. The California is more regal with all chrome etc and is more comfortable to ride but for shorter rides he said the Audace is his choice compared to the El Dorado.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I've had several of these.( The1100 not 1400.).Great handling machines and surprisingly rapid.
    A number of electrical problems....in particular with the ev1100... ECU failure is not uncommon.... replacement ones are rare and pricey.
    Starter relays are dodgy ...you get two shots at the starter button then if it's not fired chances are it'll blow a relay.
    Late model ev1100s are better...major problem being the fuel line in the in tank pump collapses leading to mystery no start symptoms....easy fix once you know.
    Otherwise I like them and will probably have another one day

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I must admit I also like this model the V85TT

Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-adventure-motorcycle-15-1024x683[1].jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I regret that I probably would have give up for the time being at least the chance to buy a Moto Guzzi California or even an El Dorado. One of the main reasons why I want one is also because it has got cruise control and also it is in production. My Thunderbird is a very good one and I love it but since it is out of production the amount of accessories available is almost non existent.
    The Guzzi is so rare in Canada and these is non for sale in New Brunswick Canada and neither could I find it in Nova Scotia nor Prince Edward Island( the neighbouring provinces) it would be almost impossible to get any major service done. Even for the Triumph I am having trouble to get any work done on it. There is only one place that would touch the Triumph.
    So I have to forget about the Guzzi for the time being at least.

16. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    I had one back in the early '90's, an '82 version in red. Great machine and dubbed the mini Le Mans. I then had a go of a mates Mk1 Le Mans and it was like a slap in the face with a wet salmon, I realized the Monza was gutless but it suited me for my daily commute into London for several years until it went bang. Still, I made profit on it even though I sold it as a none runner :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Had a test ride on one when it first came out. Great bike but low down in the power bracket hence why I ended up with the 1200 Explorer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Funnily enough, the Veglia speedo on my LeMans II was spot on when checked against the calibrated instrument fitted to my mate's company Norton Commando Interpol (at least up to 70, I thought that any faster might be pushing my luck :)).

• Like Like x 3
  19. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    This was my Mk1 Le Mans ...bought it in the late 90's from Moto Vecchia in Dorking.....its was a wonderful bike and in great condition. Had been featured in 'Superbike' magazine in a test with the MkV.......they preferred the Mk1 ! I first rode one in the late 70's and it felt tiny....After BMW Boxers this lithe beauty felt like a whippet! Good for party trick of slowing from silly speeds using the combined braking system with hands on tank! Happy days!

IMG_20200520_192001.jpg

• Like Like x 5